Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
passion flower caerulea blue

Posted by floral_grow 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 16:35

I know someone here can help me. I just received a caerulea blue as a gift. I live in zone 6 WNY. Will this plant live through our winters? If not should I keep it as a house plant? If I plant it outside on a trellis, I won't be able to bring it in over winter.

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: passion flower caerulea blue

I think they're OK from zones 8-11.
Just put it into a large pot and place a tomato cage
over it. When the winter come in, move the whole thing inside until the warmer weather comes in.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: More info here

o

I seriously doubt it can survive the winter in your zone. My hardy varieties that have been coming back for quite a while don't look like they made it through last winter which was unseasonably cold and I'm in zone 7a. Grow it in a container and if space is an issue you can allow it to go dormant over the winter in a cold (but above freezing) area like a basement or possibly a garage. Cut way back on watering if it's dormant. You can keep it going inside under grow lights as well but I'd cut it back to a reasonable size before trying to get it inside. I keep several tropical passies protected over the winter under HID lights. Some will continue blooming but the colors aren't nearly as vibrant as when they are outside.

o

I live in SWPA zone 6a. I keep mine in a 2 gal. container with a tomato cage and put it in my basement in the winter and bring it back out in the late spring. It does fine this way. I do the same with my gilberti. I planted incarnata in the ground last year and it came back, YEAH!!!
Roxanne

o

Thanks for all the info. I am going to repot to a larger pot and get the tomato cage. I'm opting to bring it in for the winter just to be safe.

Barb

o

I used to live in southern NY, zone 6b I think. I planted a P. caerulea outside and mulched over it before the cold weather set in. The next spring I waited for it to come up again...and waited, and waited, and waited

I've been told me that it will survive along the coast in CT, which might be closer to zone 7.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here