Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unhappy Passion Vine

Posted by sunrise5656 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 17:11

This was planted last fall and did well until spring. It looks like it is getting eaten by something so I treated it with a systemic insecticide and fertilized however it still looks bad.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passion Vine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unhappy Passion Vine

Passion vines are the host plant to the Gulf Fritillary butterfly caterpillar. It would be a shame to kill them. Most of us just plant some extra passies for them to eat. That being said I can't tell if your plant looks eaten or diseased. Hopefully one of the experts will answer.
Karyn

o

Definitely caterpillars. They won't harm the plant long-term, it will bounce back.

Instead of using harsh systemic insecticide that kills *everything*, if you must get rid of the caterpillars use bacillotoxin, often referred to as BT. It's a bacteria strain that only attacks the larval form of certain insects (ie caterpillars). It's sold at Lowe's and Home Depot and other places under the name "Thuricide." There are other brands, too. It's not expensive, works great and mild on the environment.

o

• Posted by lellie z9 Anna Maria Island (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 17:25

Oh...please try to 'live' with the minor damage...you will be rewarded with these gorgeous creatures! :)

And yes...I realize not everyone loves butterflies...that's OK, too...but, just in case you welcome them into your yard, this is a wonderful way to entice them to stay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here