Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

The Passiflora FAQ

mark4321_gw
13 years ago

I was doing a search and I just ran across the Gardenweb Passiflora FAQ. Do people ever consult this? If anyone actually does and if there are others willing to work to fix it (it really needs it)I'll certainly do my share. I'm afraid people will read the FAQ and become confused.

Here are a few entries so people can see some of my concerns:

From the FAQ:

What is passionflower?

Passiflora is a fast growing, climbing vine native of North America but is also cultivated in cooler climates. There are hundreds of species of this tropical vine. In the U.S., temperate, sub-tropical species are found from Virginia to Illinois and southeast Kansas, south to Florida and Texas. The leaves are palmately three- to five-lobed. The flowers bloom from May to July and range in many colors depending on the speciesÂpurple, blue, red, white and yellow.

Why wonÂt my passionflower produce fruit?

More than 400 passionflower varieties exist, but only a few dozen species produce edible fruit. Fruit bearers require pollination. Some varieties (such as P. incarnata) are self-pollinating, and require only visits from insect pollinators such as carpenter bees. Other varieties (such as P. edulis) are self-sterile, and require pollen from similar plants. The most reliable method is to pollinate by hand, dusting each pistil with pollen from stamens of another flower

What are the ideal growing conditions?

Passionflower thrives in relatively poor, sandy, acidic soils. Good drainage and full sun is necessary.

Where can I purchase passionflower seeds and plants?

Many local nurseries and greenhouses carry many varieties of passionflower. For online sources, type "buy passionflower online" in a search engine to locate other sources that sell seeds and live plants. Also seed and plant mail-order catalogs offer several varieties of passionflower.

[Try the search]

What are the best species for edible fruits?

P. edulis and P. mollissima (banana passionflower) are the species grown commercially. However, these varieties prefer a more tropical climate and can be difficult to maintain in a North American garden.

P. incarnata, or more commonly known as the maypop, is a common source of fruit for the home gardener. Maypops are about the size of an egg and get their name from the popping sound they make when stepped on in the garden. Ripe maypops have a yellowish-light brown skin and consist of a sweet, slimy gel-like pulp inside that surrounds the seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb Passiflora FAQ

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths