Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mailing cuttings

Posted by SGeorgia 9a SGeorgia (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 05 at 17:52

what is the procedure for mailing a cutting or seedling within the U.S.?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mailing cuttings

There aren't really any postal regulations about mailing plants that I'm aware of, although at times I come across sellers on E-Bay who are unwilling to ship plants to the "agricultural" states.. I'm unsure why. I figure since I'm already in one, anything I want to send somewhere is "safe".

I wrote a page about how I ship the plants I sell- Here it is. It takes some time to pack them, but never have I had one arrive damaged / dead, and that's the point, right?

Just make sure the plant doesn't "leak" any water- Postal guys get a bit twitchy about that.

For cuttings I'd wet some paper towells & wrap them around the cut end- then wrap that in plastic wrap somehow so the water can't get out. Then I'd put the whole thing in a big ziplock- keeps it from dehydrating during shipping. Again, take some time with it & you're stuff will arrive safe & alive.

o

Thanks Krstofer. That was very detailed and easy to follow. BTW some of the seeds you sent last year I planted this spring. Some are starting to pop up now. They'll have a good home in S GA.

o

Excellent pictures and instructions! :)

o

Cut a small water bottle in 1/2. Start the plant cuttings in a peat ball wrapped in spagnum moss in the bottom part of the water bottle. Wrap enough spagnum moss around the peat ball to keep it snug in the bottom of the water bottle. You may want to put Saran Wrap around the bottom of the bottle to keep the cutting in place. Replace the top of the bottle and tape the two sections together. You can wrap the bottle in Saran Wrap if you're still worried about leakage. Put the bottle in a box and it will stay *very* safe for shipping.

o

That sounds easy. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here