Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgeorgia_gw

cold hardiness of P alata

sgeorgia
18 years ago

What is the cold hardiness of P alata? I am trying to decide whether to pot it or plant it. Also, could someone please tell me how old the plant needs to be before it will bloom. Thank you.

Comments (6)

• wilmington_islander
    18 years ago

By Alata, I assume you mean the cultivar known as "ruby glow"? If so, its actually p. phoenicea, which is a very similar, but separate species. If yours is "ruby glow", then read on; my experience with this plant on Wilmington Island, GA, about 10 miles east of Savannah, GA, planted on the SOUTH side of my house ( which only sits about 1/2 mile inland on "high ground" before you reach the marshes and expanses of Wassaw SOund and the Atlantic) is this: My plant did not bloom until it was a year old in the early Fall ( I overwintered it in a pot as a 6 month old specimen). Anyway, the one growing year it had in the ground it must have grown, literally, 40 feet with multiple branches...i must have had a couple of hundred of the most beautiful blooms. However, the fruit didn't have time to ripen before winter set in...and its reports of being hardy to 24 or 25 degrees is BS....mine got wiped out dead at 26 degrees, with no wind damage, and no frost. Not hardy at all, in My opinion. If you can get the right location I would highly reccomend p. edulis as a trial instead...much better fruit and a much better chance of winter survival.

• wilmington_islander
    18 years ago

BTW, I saw on your trade or wish list that you would like a racemosa. Racemosa is prety hard to find but is perfectly hardy, at least root hardy, where you live. I know of a monstrous one in Garden City, GA, ( outside of Savannah in Chatham county) and the lady runs a nursery on site, so getting one would not be a problem. Waht town do you live in?

• sgeorgia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I live in Albany- 3 hrs south of Atlanta, but would be willing to drive to Savannah if I could get a racemosa. I got seeds from someone (in Spain) in the forum but after 12 weeks they still have not germinated. Since the racemosa, from what I have read, only grows the racemes on old wood, I would love to get an established plant. Please forward info on how to contact the person in Chatham.
    county. As far as the alata goes, I'm not sure which one it is because it hasn't bloomed yet. Thanks

• wilmington_islander
    18 years ago

It is "The Potting SHed" on US HWY 80 912-965-0021 and is about 3 miles east of I-95. I believe the lady sells some cuttings that she roots ( from her HUGE plant in her yard next door). If not, I believe that she would more than willing to give or sell you some cuttings. My Grandmother in Bainbridge, has a nice p. coccinea that is root hardy.

• sgeorgia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you. It must be destiny...I called the nursery and the owner's daughter will be in Albany and is bringing me the plant. Thank you.

• wilmington_islander
    18 years ago

Excellent news; I believe this is one you are going to enjoy immensely, for many years to come.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor