Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmstx_gw

Passion Vine NOT Blooming

kmstx
18 years ago

This May I purchased a passion vine at a plant sale. I planted it in a new bed with mulch, peat moss, and good soil. So far it has grown like crazy, but has not bloomed. I have recently fertilized using Mircale Grow Slow Release and a few weeks before that MG All-Prupose Water Soluble fertilizer. Does it normally take 2 years for these to bloom, or should mine be blooming. It gets afternoon sun, and I've noticed a few yellow leaves. Any suggestions would be helpful as this is my first time growing this. Thanks.

Comments (26)

• Krstofer
    18 years ago

Some never bloom.

Having said that, of the 50+ different vines happily climbing all over outside as I type, 5 have bloomed this year, and 2 more have buds. That's 7 of 50.

Maybe it's "not time". Maybe they're getting too much / little water, sun, heat, fertilizer, shade... I don't know.

Only thing to do really is cross fingers & wait.

• jimshy
    18 years ago

Ease off on the fertilizing -- passies don't need much at all, especially in the ground, and react to high fert levels with lots of leaves and no flowers.

Also, afternoon sun may not be enough for it to flower -- how many hours of direct sun/day does it get?

Finally, does it have a name tag? Knowing which one it is will tell you its flowering habit.

Jim

• gingert
    18 years ago

I have a similar problem. Many, many passiflora cerulea vines have re-appeared in my garden since I planted one tiny vine last year (gotta give it credit, passiflora has spunk!!). Last year the dozens of vines grew to maybe 12-15', but no flowers. So far this year the five or six vines I've kept have gotten to about 5' long, but no flowers. Will any special supplements/foods help? I drop my old soft bananas in the garden sometimes, as I heard passi's like potassium. :)

• Linda_8B
    18 years ago

I think P. caerulea can just concentrate on growing the first year. Not always, but sometimes. On the other hand, the Incense plant I planted this spring is preparing to bloom...even in this horrid Texas heat.

• Patty_in_Wisc
    18 years ago

I too have passies w/ vines growing like crazy & no blossoms. I have Blue boutique, flavicarpus, & coral glow.
    I'd love to hear why these aren't blooming. Had them in house under grow lites last winter so they were well established when brought out this spring. boo hoo...I want a flower!
    I recently gave it a dose of Jack's Blossom Booster (10-30-20), and buried a cut up banana in soil.

• kmstx
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I would love to hear how that turns out Patty_in_Wisc. Mine still has no blooms, but continues to climb. I have eased off the fertilizer as suggested, but we haven'thad alot pf sun lately or all the rainn from these tropical storms and hurricanes.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what variety I have as a bought it at a MG plant sale and the tag only said passion vine.

Thanks for all the help and I'm sure all of us w/ no blooms would love any suggestions.

• costaricafinca
    18 years ago

I have a 'stray' the appeared about mid May.....it's now covered in flowers and fruit! It is growing about 6 inches a day! It is in soil right beside the house, and is growing right underneath a large planter, and now up and over the planter and it's still going! No fertilizer no additional water, it's just there! My camera is 'out of commision' so no photos.

• penharbour
    18 years ago

My passion vine bloomed for the last two years where I used to live. I cut it right back and transplanted it in a location in my garden that gets sun from 11am till 8 pm. It is growing like crazy but no blooms. I didn't know it doesn't like fertilizer so have been feeding it. I will stop feeding it food and try the bananas. Hopefully this will work. Has anyone else had problems with blooms after transplanting? Thanks

• brarygrl
    18 years ago

I have a "Lavender Lady" growing up the porch post with afternoon sun - same deal, lots of lush foliage, no blooms. Only gave it coffee grounds in early spring. It bloomed like mad the first year and not much since then, I think it's 3 years old now. Last year I cut it back to about 2 feet in winter and it took forever to regrow up the post so this year I left all the brown stems and let them sprout new growth all the way up - it filled in a lot quicker, but why no blooms with that head start??
    Arghhhhh!

• passionflow
    18 years ago

Hi Folks
    Firstly some grown from seed as Krstofer says never flower.
    Secondly either don't feed them at all, or if you do it must be high K+ fertilizer. Too much N+ and they will grow furiously with no flowers. Also some flower in bursts with abunch of flowers for a while then none at all so be patient. Also for any of you living in really hot places the heat will cause them to stop flowering....very few flower when you get above 35c or so
    Myles

• inorlando
    15 years ago

Three years later...still no blooms. I purchased an expensive passiflora vine (cerulea) 3 years ago. It has grown like crazy every summer here in Orlando. Never a bloom. Not one! It's planted in the rocks near the back porch: Solid sunny location. No fertilizer (apparently there's not a consensus about whether fert. is needed). What do I do to get it to bloom??

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

passion flowers do not need fertilizing or any special care.They grow wild beautifully.
    They first concentrate on climbing then flowering.
    So I gather, you should not feed them any nitrogen(N).
    May be phosphorus (p) and Potash (k).
    They definitely need lots of sun and company.
    I have transplanted some roots in the winter and Look forward to see what will happen.
    But look at the bright side; even their vine is pretty and more than that edible. Eat the then raw, in salads, dry and make tea with it. With their flowers I make cologn. I just put then in 100 proof vodka, then after a while strain it. Voilla!! for additional color can add some red rose or other red fragrant flower petals.

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

There have been discussions before about how all but the ripe fruit must be assumed to be poisonous (cyanide is quickly released).

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora toxicity on Passionflow's (Myles') site

• jblaschke
    15 years ago

>But look at the bright side; even their vine is pretty and more than that edible. Eat the then raw, in salads, dry and make tea with it.

Um, no. Not just no, but seriously no. All passiflora synthesize a natural cyanide as protection from herbivores. Every year there are cases of children being poisoned in South America from eating under-ripe passion fruit. While it's true a tea can be made from the leaves of some passiflora, this is processed to remove the toxins.

Anyone tossing a salad full of passiflora foliage wouldn't be someone I'd want to dine with.

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

I have pictures that I have taken last summer, from the
    Passiflora that grows wild here , Atlanta GA area.

I do not know the name of the variety. But it has Blueis-purple color petals and strands.The flower is abotan inc and half accross.

I ate some of its leaves and nothing happened to me.
    At the time. Shortly before I did not even know the name.
    So I did a google search and read a lot about it. No where they mentioned that it is toxic or poisonous. In one of those websites, they mentioned that the leaves are edible, so is the fruit. The unripe fruit has no taste. medium ripe ones are very tart. Even the ripe one is tart too but has a unique flavor and taste.

I tried to copy one of the pictures that I have taken but the editot would not accept. Anyway, as I mention this specific variety grows wild around here. Its fruit is round and about the size of a walnut. It turns light green-yellow when ripe. I will try and find that web site and give you a link here , if I can later.

Again, as I read about it there are many differen one, both unaltered an hybridized. So some of them might be toxic or poisonous. But the one that I am talking about definately NOT POISONOUS. But could be toxic (unripe fruit and leaves) if consumed in excess. The fact that nothing has happened to me, is good enough for me to say what I have said, i.e, IT IS EDIBLE.

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

AS I promised in the above post , here is one of the links that I was talking about.

http://www.altnature.com/gallery/passionflower.htm

Go ahead, copy to your browser and read it for yourself.

• justinsarma
    13 years ago

I don't find the fact that you're not dead from eating passionflower leaves very reassuring, cyrus, because the 10 other people who tried this might just be too dead to write about the experience. It says on the wikipedia page for passiflora caerulea that the leaves contain cyanide, but can be boiled off if made into a tea.

It says here that the effects of low level cyanide poisoning can be difficult to detect, so maybe that's why you haven't noticed any symptoms:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/cyanide_poisoning/page3_em.htm

I've been growing passion vine this summer too, but still haven't succeeded in getting it to bloom. I've read that the trick is to constrain it in some way, like preventing it from growing beyond a certain point, or containing its roots somehow. They say the flower production is a "defense mechanism"; if it can't propagate by climbing anymore, it tries plan B, which is to propagate by pollination.

It will be disappointing if my passionflower ends up refusing to flower, but at least the leaves are pretty.

• nikkidavis26_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Here is my situation I have a neighbor who ad the passion vine with tons of flowers and blooms omg it was amazing so I decided to sneak some clippings about 30 of them whic I tried growing tem in different scenes ground, planter, dirt,rocks , Finally I got some major growth my my fence just like his and it is of course growing up me fencelike crazy but guess what nooo blooms I dont get it.. I never got to go ask them what he did to make this vine so amzing because he moved out of the community but I planted it in the same exact type of area he did even the same type of fence.. Yes I have got mabie 3 blooms wit about 2 flowers but his had about 50-75 flowers at one time and was always in bloom. Too bad I never got to ask to him

• jblaschke
    13 years ago

Nicole, sometimes it takes patience for the passi to develop a mature root system. I planted Clear Sky a couple of years back. The first year, it grew well but set no buds. The second year it set a few flowers--less than a dozen--over the summer. Last year it bloomed constantly. My Constance Elliot was similar--no blooms at all the first year, then many the second. Vegetative maturity doesn't necessarily mean root system maturity.

Also, if you're over-fertilizing with nitrogen, that could encourage vegetative growth over flowering.

• svbcaz
    10 years ago

Wait until your vine gets as big as you want it and then start cutting off the ends all over the plant. That is when mine has started to flower. I have 3 bulbs that have opened up with the pretty white/purple flower and I have many more bulbs that have not yet opened but will in the next few days. My vine is approx 1 yr old now. Good luck.

• drgnflyz
    9 years ago

I would like to comment on those foraging on Passiflora. Field testing ANY unknown foraged foods can be deadly. Just because you ate something once, twice or even a few times and did not get sick (or worse) does not mean the plant is not toxic. Some toxins have a cumulative effect on the body. Please, please do not forage for ANY wild foods unless you are in the company of an expert. While Wikipedia may be a nice jumping off point for learning it is NOT a reliable resource for knowledge on foraging.

There are many edible varieties of Passiflora. The following quote is from professional forager "Green Deane"

"...Lastly, the Internet is the great garbage can of misinformation and amateur writers. Of late sites have been proliferating the nonsense that Passiflora incarnata has cyanide in it. It categorically does not. The American Pharmaceutical Association Practical Guide to Natural Medicines by Andrea Peirce states: âÂÂUnlike other Passiflora species, ⦠[the] Passionflower does not contain the poison cyanide, as some sources incorrectly suggest; they may have mistaken Passiflora incarnata for Passiflora caerulea, the ornamental blue passionflower that does contain this toxin.â ..."Passiflora foetida also has some cyanide in it as evidence by some research on goats feeding on the foliage. However, I have eaten a fruit or two at a time with no problem. Goats, of course, eat leaves so they can get a higher concentration of cyanide. The passion fruit used in Hawaiian Punch, Passiflora edulis, has to be limited to goats as well, less than 45 percent of their feed."

I worked for years in surgery at UAB on the transplant team and saw the tragedy that can befall a family when foraging goes wrong.

I am turning my yard into a food forest, and am intensely interested in native edibles. I research the heck out of every native edible I consider for my yard. Verify, verify, verify!

Here is a link that might be useful: Eat The Weeds

• gardenper
    9 years ago

Mine vines were like some others described here. No flowers the first year, a little bit the second year near middle of growing season until the end, then on the third year, just a constant blooming from as early as it could until the first frost temps that killed it. From then on, it kept returning and blooming just fine.

• Two_yorkies
    9 years ago

I bought two passi floras from Lowes. They already had several fruits on it so obviously it had bloomed. Since then no blooms. The parts that should have the bloom are empty. Just the outside. So far the fruit that was already on it fell off naturally. They stayed green and very light and hollow feeling. They started turning purplish on my counter, but then got very wrinkly. When are you supposed to eat them?

• svbcaz
    9 years ago

You can eat them now. Cut it open. Should smell tropical. I eat the ones that fall off. They have a thick skin so pests have a hard time penetrating. Enjoy!!!

• Winky Tinky
    8 years ago

Perhaps I was not suitable from the start...When I was shopping in the Flower Market, I was attracted by passiflora caerulea's stunning appearance so I bought its seeds impetuously (Too expensive to buy a blooming one imported from Holland). I planted them in a flowerpot cuz I dun have a garden... Soon, it reached to the ceiling! I cut some ends and bent the vines (sorry dear) but the "defense mechanism" didn't start up... Any magic that can make it bloom?? Desperately!! (Bananas?!) Potassium ions?? I am not giving it up anyway.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio