Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First fruits of my labor..

Posted by Krstofer Zone 8 (ish) (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 05 at 20:13

The red ones are caerulea, hand polinated.

The others are (lemme see if I can get the order right) caerulea (pollen) X 'lavender lady'. (where the fruit hung) First ripe fruit of prolly 100. Less seeds inside than I thought, maybe an anomoly, maybe just because of the cross, I don't know. When more fruit ripens I'll have a better idea.

I understand this particular cross will get me 'blue boutique' correct?

Trades, anyone?

I also have in the wings caerulea X 'lady margaret' which I understand is un-named as of yet, and caerulea X violacea. Haven't checked if that one's named. Both are developing fruit as I type, I'll find out if they contain anything when they ripen.

Sapphire is also about to bloom, I understand it sets fruit rather easily, but is usually empty. We'll see what / if I can create anything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First fruits of my labor..

I'm both jealous...and hungry.

o

Neither tastes very good-

My big caerulea wasn't setting fruit so I picked up a little one at the store & when I cross them I get lucky. After reading a bit I found that caerulea itself isn't terribly self fertile- But now the two plants are getting so intertwined it's hard to tell who's who.

The cross with Lavender is simply luck- Both were in bloom at the same time so I figured I'd give a try. I'd like to use something else as a polinator, but i don't have many pure strains.. And none of them are big enough or willing to flower it seems.

Also seems 'fruit ripening' is like boiling water.. The more you watch, the longer the wait.

o

Hi Krstofer

By convention the female is always put first when describing the cross..an easy way to remember is that this is the plant the fruit hangs on so female = fruit = first name. The second name is the male plant which has given the pollen. A good tip if you start doing loads of hybrids is to start off with a paper or plastic label hung round the flower you have tried to pollinate with the initials of the male parent on it and when the fruit have set and started to grow label the fruit itself with initials of both parents in indelible ink.....relabel it as it grows if needed..and then when it falls you will still know which fruit you have. Believe me I wish I had thought of this years ago! The cross you have done-putting it the right way round - is P. Amethyst (correct name for Lavender lady) x P. caerulea. There have been huge numbers of this cross produced, especially in Europe, and quite a lot have been named-as they can be quite variable-so you are unlikely to end up with something that deserves its own name but it's a great cross to start with and of course you can cross the offspring with other Passiflora to head off in a new direction. Blue Bouquet is Patrick Worley's hybrid and is quite complex being ((P. amethystina x P. caerulea) x (P. amethystina x P. caerulea) x P. caerulea.

People tend to like caerulea in their crosses as it gives hardiness and is reliable. Incarnata is more cold hardy but its hybrids tend to die back to the ground each year and certainly in Northern Europe generally it is not a good parent as the damp soil tends to rot it.
Myles

o

Is edulis x caerulea called colvilli? Or Byron's Beauty? I should have more seeds of this cross than I know what to do with.

o

Edulis x caerulea- the only named one I know of is P.'Excel'. Free flowering, fairly hardy but I think always empty fruit.
Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora Excel

o

Many thanks, Myles...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here