Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet gooey drops..

Posted by Krstofer Zone 8 (ish) (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 05 at 20:54

While moving some plants today I noticed one with some drops on the leaf bases.. (don't know the name for that part..)
'Cource they're on one of my "unknowns"..

Touched the drops- they're Quite sticky.. tasted it.. Quite sweet.

Here they are close:

Anyone seen this before? And maybe have a clue as to which (if any specific) "do" this? It's one of those seedlings who sprouted WAY after you've lost hope & lost the "what's planted here" tag.. Hopefully this will help an ID, at least untill / if it blooms..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet gooey drops..

Hi Krstofer
These are petiole glands. The petiole being the name of the little offshoot from the stem that leads to the leaf. These glands are widespread in Passiflora. They secrete a sugary nectar via these extrafloral nectaries, (nectar glands), on stems & in leaves (generally underneath or edges) to attract ants which will destroy eggs larvae & many other insects. A healthy Passiflora will often have an army of ants marching up and down it doing the cleaning.
Your plant is probably P. incarnata.
Myles

o
RE: Sweet gooey drops..

Ooohhhh......
Gotcha. And some of these glands are supposed to mimic the eggs of butterflies as in "i already have been attacked, go away" right? I've just (obviously) never seen them secrete anything in such abundance. These drops are BIG!

It very well could be an incarnata- I planted a bunch of those last year.

I recently had *something* sprout in a seed tray I'd given up on.. I put it outside on the bottom of one of my plant racks with a couple other trays on top of it. Happened to move the upper trays & found sprouts underneath.. The nite-time dew had been enough moisture to trigger germination I guess.. 'Cource (once again) the tags went somewhere else long ago so now I have more "mystery" seedlings. Simply reinforces the 'never ever give up' attitude I'm trying to develope with these guys. ...And don't loose the tags either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here