Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbms88

My first bloom!

bbms88
13 years ago

After much anticipation, here it is! There are ten more buds on the vine. BTW, how does one insert pics via Photobucket into the body of the text, instead of as a link?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (13)

• bbms88
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another pic!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Nice! Copy the HTML code from photobucket and paste in your message.

• bbms88
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Very pretty. Looks like P. belotii.

• bbms88
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just read,"Passiflora x belotii is the name given to the hybrid of P. alata and P. caerulea." I thought it was a P. caerulea. What's the difference? The color in the petals?

• pshawn
    13 years ago

I'll post a caerulea pic if I can figure out how. How did you get the picture in to your forum message once it is in photobucket?

• bbms88
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did what was recommended:"Copy the HTML code from photobucket and paste in your message" and it worked like a charm!

• eristal
    13 years ago

Definitely P. x belotii, which as you stated is P. alata x P. caerulea. Be aware, this plant does not have anywhere even remotely the cold tolerance that P. caerulea has, due to it's maternal influence.

On another note, don't you just love the "lemony" scent?

Eric

• pshawn
    13 years ago

Wonderful! So glad to finally be able to post pics here! Here is one of a caerulea (bottom, with stigma and styles cut off for hybridizing) and an unidentified caerulea hybrid on top.

• bbms88
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the clarification! One must have to work fast since the blooms only last a day, right? MY

• eristal
    13 years ago

Pshawn,

It's hard to be certain, but I would guess that your top flower is P. 'Purple Haze', which is a hybrid of P. caerulea and P. amethystina.

Eric

• pshawn
    13 years ago

I think you're right, Eric. The other possibility I've come up with is 'Blue Horizon'

• pshawn
    13 years ago

MY,

Yes, with hybridizing you do often have to work quickly. Depending on the species, the blooms may last from hours to a few weeks (the Australian passifloa seem to last a lot longer than the plants from the Americas). You stand the best chance of the hybrid actually being of the parentage you are hoping for if you pollinate early and remove any nearby alternative pollen sources early and regularly. When I first started playing with Passiflora, I had no interest in making hybrids, just growing tasty fruit. Somehow, I caught the hybridizing bug. Maybe you will too...

Congrats again on your first bloom!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?