Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first bloom!

Posted by bbms88 Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 21:47

After much anticipation, here it is! There are ten more buds on the vine. BTW, how does one insert pics via Photobucket into the body of the text, instead of as a link?

Here is a link that might be useful: First bloom:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first bloom!

Another pic!

Here is a link that might be useful: Another pic

o

Nice! Copy the HTML code from photobucket and paste in your message.

o
RE: I'll try it

Thanks!

Photobucket

o

Very pretty. Looks like P. belotii.

o

I just read,"Passiflora x belotii is the name given to the hybrid of P. alata and P. caerulea." I thought it was a P. caerulea. What's the difference? The color in the petals?
Photobucket

o

• Posted by pshawn 9B, Califorbia (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 1:01

I'll post a caerulea pic if I can figure out how. How did you get the picture in to your forum message once it is in photobucket?

o
Photobucket

I did what was recommended:"Copy the HTML code from photobucket and paste in your message" and it worked like a charm!
Photobucket

o

Definitely P. x belotii, which as you stated is P. alata x P. caerulea. Be aware, this plant does not have anywhere even remotely the cold tolerance that P. caerulea has, due to it's maternal influence.

On another note, don't you just love the "lemony" scent?

Eric

o

Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 0:50

Wonderful! So glad to finally be able to post pics here! Here is one of a caerulea (bottom, with stigma and styles cut off for hybridizing) and an unidentified caerulea hybrid on top.

Bottom: P. caerula; Top: unidentified hybrid

o

Thanks for the clarification! One must have to work fast since the blooms only last a day, right? MY

o

Pshawn,

It's hard to be certain, but I would guess that your top flower is P. 'Purple Haze', which is a hybrid of P. caerulea and P. amethystina.

Eric

o

Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 19:59

I think you're right, Eric. The other possibility I've come up with is 'Blue Horizon'

o

Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 0:42

MY,

Yes, with hybridizing you do often have to work quickly. Depending on the species, the blooms may last from hours to a few weeks (the Australian passifloa seem to last a lot longer than the plants from the Americas). You stand the best chance of the hybrid actually being of the parentage you are hoping for if you pollinate early and remove any nearby alternative pollen sources early and regularly. When I first started playing with Passiflora, I had no interest in making hybrids, just growing tasty fruit. Somehow, I caught the hybridizing bug. Maybe you will too...

Congrats again on your first bloom!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here