Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgood4u

Anyone in zone 6 have a Maypop as a perennial?

mgood4u
18 years ago

I live in PA and have heard that with lots of mulch my Passionflowers can return. I have my doubts. Is there anyone who has had success with this type as a perennial vine and is from z6?

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• sgeorgia
    18 years ago

I have seeds if you'd like to try. E-mail me and I'll give you my address for a SASE.

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Good gosh, YES! It's an invasive weed here in Missouri.

• chills71
    18 years ago

ok, two comments. 1. How is Mo Zone 5? Do you have cold shipped in from Alaska for Christmas? and 2. my answer to the question.

I have tried twice now to overwinter an incarnata. Each time I have tried in the same place in my yard, which I will admit is a less than ideal location as the plants I've planted each time have not done well in establishing themselves. Not to admit defeat, but I am trying again, this time in a different location, in fact five different locations in my yard.

Time will tell, but the largest of the plants has already outgrown either of the two other plants I tried last year and the year before.

I will also be potting up a couple incarnata's to take indoors at the end of the season (along with the Vitifolia, Incense (got one of these planted outside as well), Lavender Lady, Edulis and the unknown one that I have had for three years and still no flowers.

~Chills Also awaiting other respondants....

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Five different locations.....I'd say stubborn, but in a good way! lol.

Good Luck. I think I will bring some in and try leaving some out also.

Thanks for the input!

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Chills, check out the map sited below. It beats the heck outta me HOW we got to be zone 5 - God's design, perhaps? What zone did you THINK Missouri was?

• chills71
    18 years ago

Certainly warmer than here. Do your temperatures really drop below -10 each winter?

I've kept track of the winter temperatures here over the past 4 years and the coldest temperature I've recorded is -2 and that was just twice. I am within a half mile of one of the largest lakes (besides the Great Lakes) in the US, though.

~Chills

• turtledon
    18 years ago

P. incarnata is actually native to the southern part of Pa. I believe that if you plant it with a good southern exposure and some mulch this winter, it should take. P. incarnata has a thickened type of runner where it stores energy for the next year and if it doesn't get enough growth this summer, it won't come back next year.

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Chills, not EVERY winter does it go below zero, like winter-before-last, but yes - most winters it goes down to -10 degrees.

• spiderwoman
    18 years ago

Yes, I have one that overwintered in a raised bed built on top of an old asphalt driveway. The soil is no more than 6" deep. I potted up a couple of pieces of it and held them over winter inside but the thing burst forth like gangbusters a few weeks ago. I have been digging out pieces of the root and potting them up. I was surprised but pleased that it did survive. It did not sprout until fairly late in the season. Is it possible that you didn't give it enough time to come up?
    Where do you live? I am near Gettysburg and would be happy to share the wealth.
    spiderwoman

• Mystyspassion
    18 years ago

I am in Zone 6 as well; last year I left it in a 25 Gallon Pot I had outside; I put a lot of mulch; but it died anyway. This year I put 2 in the Ground and 3 in Pots; I think I may have luck this winter with them; all my other tropicals that I put in the Ground came back this year; and all the ones I left in Pots didn't come back. I have been told that with Tropicals it is best to plant them as close to the house as possible this way the warmth from the house will keep the roots from rotting. I have a brick house with a finished basement; so my plants are right ouside my Basement Windows; so they are probably getting enough warmth to stay alive. This winter is the Test for my Passionflowers. I am also going to bring 2 of the 3 inside and place them in my Downstairs bathroom with Plant Lights; and the Humidity from the Shower may help; at least that is what some woman I met told me. So I am going to give it a try. & the one I am leaving outside I am not only going to give it a lot of Mulch; but my husband made a suggestion of putting some type of insulation around the Pot as well as a Large; Large; Clear Plastic Bag I got from a Friend It will fit the Trellis and pot nicely. So if anyone has other suggestions let me know because I really want to find a method to keep one in a Pot outside during the Winter. I am not sure how I am going to deal with the 2 that are in the ground other than a couple of inches of Mulch. I may cut one down and leave the other in tact with a trim. But all suggestions are welcome

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago

I planted some from seed last year and was just thrilled to see that they made it through their first winter although they came up very late - almost June. I didn't mulch them but probably should've.
    Kay - you're scaring me. lol Wish you hadn't called it a weed. I know they spread but I'm hoping I can keep mine under control. Maybe I shouldn't have planted it in my yard. I need to know more about it.
    I'm in Missouri too and can remember a couple of winters that dipped to nearly 15 below but I think our temps are more up and down here instead of staying cold for a long time and we don't have snow cover over a long time like some states do. It's interesting (and frightening) to look up your all time record low for your town. Ours is 39 below I believe, down here in SW Missouri. brrrrr

• chills71
    18 years ago

I got to talking with a neighbor and I was showing her my incense and she said, I have something like that, but my flowers are a little different. She stated that she has tried to rip it out a number of time over the years, but it comes back again and again. I went over and looked and it is a passionflower (and since there are so few that will live here, I'm guessing its an incarnata). i'm hoping that it will bloom in the next week (its got buds).

She has 5 and said I can try and dig one as she will be pulling some of them out anyway.

This explains the seedling I had just show up about a month ago.

~Chills

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

I planted incarnata at the base of a large stump in my perennial bed in 2001. By '02, it was smothering all it's neighbors and then began to move into a nearby bed. I found it growing 6' from where I planted it. That's when I started ripping it out. I finally got it all out last year. I was successful at taking cuttings which I gave away.

During the time it spent in my garden, it bloomed profusely but it was just too much work to keep it from taking over. I've read that it doesn't do well grown in pots but I don't have personal experience.

Too bad it's so invasive:(