Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

vitifolia, murucuja and incense

karyn1
16 years ago

Can any of these pollinate each other? These are the only 3 blooming at the same time that have any pollen so I've tried crossing all 3 in hopes that I'd get something to fruit. None of the other passies that are in bloom right now have any pollen. The only one of those 3 that I regularly get fruit from is the vitifolia and that's always been insect pollinated.

Karyn

Comments (6)

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Karyn,

Your only possibility is likely vitifolia pollen on Incense. Murucuja is in section decaloba, so it will not be compatible with the others, and Incense pollen does not seem to be viable.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Kiwinut. I have to figure out which of my passies can fertilize what and which are completely sterile. So far I've just relied on insects to pollinate my flowers and I don't get a whole lot of fruit. Much of the fruit that I do get are empty little balloons. Is there anywhere that I can easily find that information? What is the best way to store pollen? I have several varieties of passies but many don't bloom at the same time.
    Karyn
    PS: I have another kiwi question for you. I started a bunch of Gold kiwi plants from fruit from the grocer. They plants are growing very well. Are there separate male and female varieties of that plant or do I need a different variety to produce fruit? How can you tell male and female plants apart? Do you have to wait for blooms? I have a hardy kiwis that I bought both male and female plants. I think the male has more colorful foliage, lots of pink and white but I could be mistaken. The vines are so intertwined now and it's hard to tell them apart.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Here is a link which tells basics on how to save pollen.

It will also keep in the freezer up to a year. You can save your pollen in folded paper and place in tiny ziplocks and then when I freeze mine I put it in a tupperware container in the freezer. You have to bring it out and let it sit for a half hour or so at room temperature before use after freezer storage. Seems to work better that way for me. Always make sure your pollen is dry before storage so it doesn't mold.
    I started saving my pollen in those little plastic collection (like they use in chemistry labs) microtubes this year after I learned about it on the BGI and Abads forums. They work really well too. You can save your brug pollen too, both the sites above allow you to take out free brug pollen withdraws 4 times per yr with paid membership. Good way to get those genes into your hybrids from europe etc.
    ~SJN

Here is a link that might be useful: how to save pollen

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Karyn, the only way other than trial and error I've learned what will cross-pollinate and what won't is by going through the published hybrid registry Myles Irvine has published on his Passion Flow site. Most of them are in PDF format, so it's pretty easy to download and do a word search for "Incense" to see which hybrids have arisen from that plant. Vitifolia has crossed with incarnata, so there's a chance a cross with Incense might take, but I don't recall seeing one like that on the registry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybrid and Cultivar lists

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both for the links.
    Karyn

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Karyn,

The only way to tell the difference is the flowers. Males tend to bloom at a little earlier age than females. They should take from 1 to 3 years to start blooming.

Sponsored