Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eristal

Have you seen it bloom?

eristal
14 years ago

I love pictures of other people's flowers. So, this post is for all those pictures that have never gotten posted before.

Honestly, I don't care if you only have one Passiflora, and it is P. caerulea... post your favorite picture. If you don't know how, let me know and I, (or someone who beats me to it), can instruct you.

Is it blooming today? Last week? Last month? Last year? It doesn't matter. Post it anyway, as some flowers have never been seen be many people. You don't need a reason, or a description, or anything other than the name. Don't feel obligated to type a whole paragraph about it, though that is kindly taken as well.

I'll put some on tomorrow or the next day. I think I have a few that will be fun to share.

Happy photo taking!

Eric

Comments (32)

• daveh_sf
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Only ONE favorite???

Well, here's two to start. The first is 'Elizabeth', which I'm growing in my greenhouse. I love the fat, wavy filaments:

The second one is antioquiensis, which does so well in cool San Francisco. It's great how they dangle overhead on long peduncles:

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Dave,

I saw 'Mission Dolores' (P. parritae x P. antioquiensis) in bloom on Saturday and was really impressed. Obviously the flowers are bigger than antioquiensis--but particularly striking are the peduncles--on average are they longer? Is the plant more floriferous? Does it bloom at a relatively small size? And is it self-fertile?

Lots of questions, as usual. Thanks.

• karyn1
    14 years ago
  • daveh_sf
    14 years ago

Hi Mark,

For those of you who haven't seen a photo of it, here's 'Mission Dolores':

Yes, it's bigger than antioquiensis, about 6-7" dia, and the peduncles are longer, about 18-24". It doesn't seem to be any more floriferous than its parents, or blooming on small plants. I don't know if it's self-fertile.

• eristal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My turn! Sorry it has taken so long...

I tried to not include too many things that are extremely common. These were all taken within the last couple of weeks:

Here's P. loefgrenii 'Iporanga', who is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. He seems to be able to pollinate anything... he's a stallion! Unfortunately, he won't set a fruit of his own.

P. loefgrenii x P. caerulea

P. loefgrenii x P. caerulea with huge fruit from P. loefgrenii 'Iporanga' pollen after about 10 days.

The two next to each other for comparison.

P. 'Donna Brigham'

P. manicata

A different perspective on P. x exoniensis

P. 'Quazar'

P. 'Indigo Dreams' about to open.

P. 'Witchcraft' mutated as usual, though not as weird as some of them can be.

P. foetida - not sure which one.

P. umbilicata x P. tucumanensis - he finally started blooming again. He really didn't like the high temps we had for a while there. This is one of my favorites, and one that I am trying many hybrids with.

That's it for now. If I get some other unusual ones soon, I'll be sure to post them.

Eric

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Eric,

I think it's amazing how P. loefgrenii x P. caerulea really looks like a roughly equal mix of the two flowers. You could look at it and quickly figure out who the parents are.

• eristal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's one of the reason's I posted that comparative picture. Isn't that neat? The peduncles are even almost the same length, about 7 inches. The P. loefgrenii is obviously the more spectacular of the two, and though you can't see it in the picture, it is actually much larger. The hybrid seems to be right smack in between the parents as far as size goes, as well. The nice thing about the hybrid is the P. caerulea component makes it tolerate much lower temps in winter. The P. loefgrenii doesn't like frost at all.

Eric

• miracureleanu
    14 years ago

How can i upload a picture?

• karyn1
    14 years ago

You need to use one of the picture hosting sites like Photobucket.

• jkrup44
    14 years ago

Here is a recent picture of my Passiflora caerulea 'Clear Sky'

Josh

• louisianamark
    14 years ago

Hi Eric,

I really like that loefgreni x caerulea, but just to clarify--the pollen donor was caerulea?

Also, how do you post the photos so that they show up, rather than just appearing as a link? I have a Flickr account, but can't figure out how to get the pics to show up in the post.

Thanks!
    Mark

• jkrup44
    14 years ago

Hi, I use Flickr too. You need to click on the picture in "my photostream", then click on "all sizes" at the top of it. Then click on the size you want to display. It will then display the picture in the size you have chosen. Below the picture will be the .html code. Cut and paste that code into your posting on GW.
    Josh

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Passiflora 'Manta' (P. xiikzodz x P. coriacea). Delivered to me on Saturday by Eric, from his friend Kevin. It opened one flower on Saturday, two on Sunday and one today. You'll notice there's actually a cluster of buds (I know there's a "real" name for that...). There are 3 such sites on the plant where buds are opening.

• kiwinut
    14 years ago

Here are a few recent blooms and a couple from last year.

This one is quickly becoming my favorite, P. 'Guglielmo Betto'.

P. serratifolia

P. 'ByTe' (Byron Beauty x Temptation)

Byron Beauty x Inspiration x Temptation

Incense x incarnata

~kiwinut

• louisianamark
    14 years ago

Ok, I think I've figured it out (thanks for the tip Josh). Here is probably my favorite--Blue Eyed Susan, with a double bloom:

I really like my nephrodes too, even though it goes a while between setting off blooms:

I had a retipetala plant a couple of years ago that only put out a single bloom, then eventually languished and died (I think the Miracle Gro potting soil it was in was too acidic). Fortunately, I have another one that I am growing from seed, but it is a first year plant, so it won't bloom until next year.

Here is one of my Incense x caerulea hybrids that bloomed this summer. I still haven't decided if I want to register it. It looks somewhat similar to Blue Bouquet.

Here is the second Incense x caerulea. I have about 5 or 6 more that haven't bloomed yet.

That's all for now!
    Mark

• eristal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I LOVE all the pics! Keep them coming. Here's a new one for me. This is a very different P. foetida from the other one I posted.

I'll try to get pics of my P. colinvauxii downloaded soon, as well as others as they bloom. I can't wait for Crystal's 2008 hybrids to bloom. Two different ones have buds on them!

Eric Wortman

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Eric I love that foetida. I didn't know there was a blue variety. I've only seen the white and pink.

• eristal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Karyn,

I didn't know there was a blue one either! Wait... perhaps there isn't. This was from a plant purchased from Georgia Vines many years ago by a friend. I am not very familiar with the consistency of that nursery, so for all I know, it could be mislabeled. The question then is, "What is it?"

It has all the characteristics of a P. foetida, though there are certainly others closely related. Here's a pic of the bract:

I have a picture of the leaf on the "leaves" string.

If anyone has any idea what this may be other than P. foetida, please let me know.

Eric

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Eric the only passion vine I have that has the similar lacy calyx (?) besides the foetida is the Palmeri var Sublancelata. That bud looks the same as the foetida and sublancelata that I have but the foliage is completely different. My foetida and sublancelata have small unlobed leaves but for all I know there's other types of foetida foliage. If you don't get a definitive answer here maybe you'll be able to get one at the PSI meeting next month.

• passi4thewin
    14 years ago

Heres some sunburst flowers....I was a bit bored in the greenhouse plus I needed to dispose of the smelly flowers.

{{gwi:1130793}}

{{gwi:1130795}}

{{gwi:1130796}}

Adularia

{{gwi:1130797}}

perfoliata

{{gwi:1130798}}

citrina

{{gwi:1130799}}

foetida

{{gwi:1130800}}

aurantia...unusual little guy

{{gwi:1130801}}

tricuspis

{{gwi:1130802}}

and lastly colinvauxii

I feel like I posted to many pics but I was in the moment hehe...first time posting pics on here so it took me a bit haha.

Enjoy!

Kevin

• love4vines
    14 years ago

I love all the Passie pics! There are quite a few that are pictured that I would love to have in my own collection and quite a few that I can't wait to bloom on my own vine ;-). I thought I would add a few commoners that aren't posted on here just for the fun of it!

P. sanguinolenta

From Passiflora

P. 'Lady Margaret'

From Passiflora

P. 'Crimson Tears' funky and mutated as it can sometimes be

From Passiflora

P. amethystina 'Minas Gerais'

From Passiflora

Hope to see more Passies from you all!
    Crystal

• lavenderlilly
    14 years ago

Hello! First time poster... I'm SO excited to find you guys! I'm an addict... a passion flower addict!!!! This is so wonderful seeing pics of plants I have but are not blooming yet...! I'll figure out how to add photos to posts and I'll show your my "babies" that are blooming!

So nice to meet you all!
    Stacy

• lavenderlilly
    14 years ago

Hope I do this right! Here are some of mine that have bloomed the past couple of weeks...

'Violetta' and 'Capsularis'

'Colinvauxii'

'Clear Sky'

'Betty Myles Young'

'Inspiration Blue Violet'

'Pure Vida #7'

'Raspberry Strudel'

'x. allardii'

...and then, I'm playing around trying to duplicate the older floral illustrations.... having fun with it anyway!

I love looking at all of your pictures!

• eristal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stacy,

You don't have your email listed on your main page. Please send me an email. I'd like to discuss a few things with you outside of this posting.

Eric Wortman

• passi4thewin
    14 years ago

Im liking that 'Raspberry Strudel'! very nice pictures as well :)

Kevin

• lavenderlilly
    14 years ago

Thank you! I really like the 'Raspberry Strudel,' too!I've waited and waited for her to bloom!

• lavenderlilly
    14 years ago

Hey Eric, I updated my profile.

Here are a couple other "paintings" I've done this week... it's kind of getting addicting! Hope it's ok to post these here. None of my friends can "appreciate" the passion flower like you guys do!
    'Blue Inspiration Violet"

'Purple Vida'

Off to work on another one.... :)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Since I don't have many in bloom now except was was posted earlier here's some previous blooms. They aren't labeled but nothing uncommon and a few NOID's.

{{gwi:561744}}

{{gwi:491648}}
    {{gwi:472900}}
    {{gwi:480099}}

{{gwi:552947}}
    {{gwi:552949}}

{{gwi:564335}}
    {{gwi:564336}}
    {{gwi:564337}}
    {{gwi:564338}}

{{gwi:553665}}
    {{gwi:553667}}

{{gwi:538217}}
    {{gwi:524979}}

{{gwi:249749}}
    {{gwi:476840}}

• lavenderlilly
    14 years ago

more...
    P. 'Monika Fisher' close-up

P. pure vida purple

...and my first ever capture of a hummingbird at one of my flowers and it just happend to be P. sanquinolenta (love, love this one)!

... my favorite "painting" so far...

Having fun!

• MissSherry
    14 years ago

I'm drooling over all of your pictures, especially the tacsonias - it gets too hot here for them. I'm a butterfly nut, so mine tend to be those that gulf frits like -
    Here are a few of mine - first, P. incarnata -
    {{gwi:518063}}
    P. incarnata 'alba' -
    {{gwi:465029}}
    P. 'Amethyst' or 'Lavender Lady' -
    {{gwi:465032}}
    P. mucronata -
    {{gwi:465024}}
    P. loefgrenii -
    {{gwi:465021}}
    Lady Margaret -
    {{gwi:461621}}
    P. biflora -

P. 'Incense' -
    {{gwi:496013}}
    P. caerulea -

Probable P. 'Blue Bouquet' -

Anastasia didn't come back for me, but I liked it while it lasted -
    {{gwi:447856}}
    Sherry

• lavenderlilly
    14 years ago

Beautiful pictures, Sherry! I can't wait for my P. loefgrenii to get here! You have beautiful plants!

Sponsored