Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help identifying this passiflora / fruit edible ?

Posted by ka77 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 2:06

About 3 years ago, I was given a passiflora cutting. The person who gave it to me, didn't know its species and never had any fruits. I planted the cutting and for the first time in 3 years, it has finally given us some fruits. Some of them have just turned yellow. Is there a way to identify the species and figure out if the fruits are actually edible (besides eating it)? I searched through the posts in this forum, but couldn't figure it out. If they can help, here are some close-ups of the fruit and flower. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help identifying this passiflora / fruit edible ?

It looks like my Passiflora Caerulea. Yes, the fruits are edible.

o

• Posted by mark4321 10a CA Sunset 16/17 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 17:03

P. caerulea is edible, but most people don't like the taste. I've run into a few who do, and the only way to find out is by tasting it.

I think it often makes empty/hollow fruits. If you don't see dark seeds enclosed in a red gelatinous material (the aril), then there is nothing to eat.

o

We have what looks like the same plant,and I just noticed today that ours has quite a few green fruits on it.DH asked me if we could eat them and I didn't know,so came here to find out.So thanks for the answer.
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here