Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burying bananas in pots with passiflora

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 8:22

I was looking through a passiflora site and read that burying a banana in the soil with the plant will provide it with extra potassium. Has anyone ever done this and did it help your plant? I know that bananas are high in potassium but never considered doing this.
Karyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burying bananas in pots with passiflora

Hmmm, I have never heard of doing that but I would have to question why anyone would do it. Passiflora are very aggressive climbers, they wind those tendrils around anything and everything, I would think that it would choke the banana. I have to keep all my passies away from all the other plants.
Sorry it does not answer your question.

o

Sorry for the confusion, I don't mean a banana plant, I mean a piece of fruit buried under the soil. As it decomposes a significant amount of potassium is made available to the passiflora roots. I do bury a whole egg in with my container grown tomatoes.
Karyn

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 20, 06 at 5:06

I do it all the time. It would probably be better to just bury the peel, as the fruit can attract ants. The peel also dries out fairly quickly when exposed to the sun, making it less of an insect attractant.

o

Thanks Baci. I think I'll try the peel. I was worried about attracting ants and fruit flies. How far down in the soil do you bury the peel?
Karyn

o

I chopped up some banana peels and dug them down a few inches into some of my plants. I'll see if it makes a difference.
Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here