Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Incarnata

karyn1
16 years ago

I finally got blooms on one of my Maypops. I know that this is considered an invasive weedy plant in some areas but what a beautiful weed! I might be singing a different tune next season because I already have incarnata plants popping up everywhere. lol

Karyn

{{gwi:558129}}

Comments (11)

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Looks just like P. 'Incense' to me. Is that five-lobed leaf on the same vine? Incarnata typically has three-lobed leaves.

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Karyn, you didn't get those from me, did you? That really, really looks 100 percent like Incense. I've never seen incarnata with flowers that purple.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now that you mention it it does look an awful lot like my incense that I have in a pot. I didn't think incense was hardy, at least I winter mine over inside. These were dug up out of a friend's yard. He said they were Maypops and I never bothered to compare it to any of my other vines. I just stuck them in the ground. Even the little pieces of roots decided to grow and it's just about everywhere now. It's the only one I have planted directly in the ground. All my others are in pots on the deck or sunken inground. Some of the leaves are 3, others are 5 lobed. A couple of the vines also have that virus that makes the leaves have yellow streaks/spots. Does this mean I still don't have a Maypop? lol The most common and easiest to grow and I can't find one!
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

You still don't have maypops. All Incense clones are infected with a latent virus that causes that yellowing when the plants become stressed. The virus doesn't harm the Incense, and the symptoms go away on their own.

I've got several different incarnata/maypops suckering all over my yard. I can dig some up for you with excellent root mass, if you want to trade.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really want a Maypop! Is it crazy to want what some consider a weed so bad? lol All I have that's rooted now are some vitifolia from seed and some very large amethystina plants that I also grew from seed. I have no idea what the pollinators were and they haven't flowered yet. I've traded my other rooted passies over the last couple weeks. I have several other varieties but none are rooted. Is the incense virus able to spread to other passie varieties? Most of the yellow leaves have been replaced with the solid grren ones. I kind of liked the yellow streaks.
    Karyn

• hummingbird3172
    16 years ago

There was an empty lot nearby that was filled with wild maypops...and now it has been bulldozed and it is a shopping center. I think I might know another spot where they grow wild. I think I am going to get me some, if you'd like any I'd be happy to get extra.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't realize that P. incense was a hardy variety. Since this turned out to be an incense and not an incarnata I dug some up and put it in the GH over the winter. That one is doing fine and is in bloom but I was really surprised to see it coming back in the garden. Was that a fluke or is the incense usually hardy? We had a couple months with mostly subfreezng temps this past winter.
    Karyn

• MissSherry
    15 years ago

I don't know exactly how cold hardy Incense is, but mine came back sooner than my p. incarnata, and it's spread more than p. incarnata, too.
    Sherry

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My incarnata came up several weeks earlier but it was planted close to the house and the incense is in the middle of the yard.
    Karyn

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Karyn, I can send you maypops! they grow wild here! I collected seeds and have a few in my yard. Email me. Linda

• jblaschke
    15 years ago

IIRC, Incense is hardy through Zone 7 whereas incarnata can make it into parts of Zone 6. Incense seems to be slightly more frost tolerant, particularly if the vines are allowed to build up several layers of leaves etc. to act as insulation over the winter. Of course, that allows the vegetation to survive my winters, but I doubt it would offer much protection for your winters.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks