Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummingbird3172

Help Identifying Passiflora?

hummingbird3172
16 years ago

I just bought several passionvines and an aristolochia and an extra plant arrived with the others. The passies and aristo were labeled, but this plant has something like colinraoxii on the pot. I've found passies that have similar leaves, online, but most pictures focus on the flowers not the leaves. I've tried to email the seller but haven't heard back. It is a very delicate (paper thin leaves) vine with tendrils....I do not know if aristos have tendrils. I feel like it is going to prefer some shade because I think our sun is going to fry it.

Comments (12)

• chena
    16 years ago

Hey!!!!
    Congrats.. P. colinraoxii is a great little Passi... I have one and that is exactly what it looks like...I keep mine outside on the porch with indirect sun , I mist it a couple of times a day...We have been in the high 90* and it seems to be doing fine...The Aristolochia is a twining vine.. I have A.gigantea and I have blooms that are about to open...Woo Hoo!!!
    Chena

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Hummingbird, if you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands. ;-)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Chena if you get seeds from your A. gigantea and have extras please let me know. My fimbriata has been blooming like crazy but my elegans hasn't set any buds yet. I have plenty of fimbriata seeds if you are interested.
    Karyn
    PS: I have several passies that have a similar shaped leaf but not that variety.

• chrismac_flutter
    16 years ago

Karyn,
    Do you have apicture of the fimbriata flower? I am on a seeding start and would like to get as many types as I can
    FLutter

• antbeez6
    16 years ago

That looks like it is a P. colinvauxii plant to me.

• chena
    16 years ago

Karyn...
    I have a couple of cuttings started... I've read mixed reviews on that subjuect...LOL Got my fingers crossed on seed .It has 5 flowers so far... You are welcome to anything I have...
    Chena

• passionflow
    16 years ago

If the label is correct it is indeed P. colinvauxii. Probably from Grassy Knoll or Logee's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora colinvauxii

• hummingbird3172
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, wow! What a neat one! This is great. I do appreciate the link too.

I kept trying to google it in and I guess I had the spelling a little off. I got it grom Georgia Vines, I'm pretty sure she had it labeled right.

I just got a Ruby Glow, p. triloba, st. rule, nephrodes, and an Aristolochia Labeosa.

I'm trying to get A. littoralis started from seeds (still waiting for it to sprout), and p. mollissima, p. flavicarpa, and p. mujucaru from seeds. From what I've read this is going to take awhile!

Thanks for the care advice on Colinvauxii...I thought it looked like it needed less sun, I'm glad I went with my instincts! :-)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Chrismac here's a pic of my A. fimbriata. My plant is loaded with seed pods that should be ripe anyday now. I'd be happy to send you some.
    Karyn

{{gwi:85730}}

• hummingbird3172
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is the A. fimbriata hard to grow from seed? The leaves are really gorgeous!

• chena
    16 years ago

Karyn that is beautiful...My A.gigantea opened this morning..It is the first bloom...

I have started several P. mollissima from seed they germinate very fast...

Do you have PB...? I have never been able to put the clickable thumbnail up.. LOL What am I doing wrong???

Chena

Here is a link that might be useful:

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Chena that bloom is beautiful. I also use PB. To do thumbnails just click the little box under the image you want and scroll to the bottom of the page where it says "generate HTML....." You click that and a new page will come up. Just copy and paste what's in the first box on the new page. Hummingbird they are pretty easy to grow from seed but germination can be somewhat erratic. They don't bloom the first year, at least not in my zone. They will form a tuber before they reach blooming size. I do winter them over inside. Some of mine go dormant when I take them in and start putting out new growth in late winter. I just decrease the amount of watering if they lose their leaves.
    Karyn

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions