Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsofheaven

Lots of passifloras

plantsofheaven
17 years ago

First, I would just like to thank everyone who gave me passiflora seeds especially to the guy in spain which I lost your e-mails. Yesterday and Today I filled up 2- 72 cell greenhouses and filled up a 6 cell greenhouse with passiflora seeds of the following:

P. herbertiana, P. incarnata alba, P. Sancap, p. lutea, p. sanguinolenta, p. quadrangularis, p. ligularis, p. racemosa, p. amethyst, p. caerulea, p. cinnabarina, p. coriacea, p. alata, p. mollisima, p. cincinnata, p. edulis and p. decaisneana. That makes a total of 150 plus 7 incarnata plants I have. I have already found room for about 130. I still have some of each to still plant or trade. I will probably have some seedling I can trade later on. Does anyone know whether these are edible or inedible?(already know what kind mollisima, incarnata alba, and edulis are). I can not wait to see them bloom. I still want to get alot of other kinds of passiflora. Sorry for the long post. I just felt like I had to share this with someone.

Happy Gardening

Mike

Comments (5)

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Not to be nitpicky or anything, but Amethyst is a hybrid, and won't come true. So what you've planted there is an (Amethyst x. unknown) hybrid. No telling what any resulting plants may look like. I'd be curious to hear how those turn out.

I'm also curious about your incarnata alba. I assume the white form is a recessive trait--but will crossing alba with an alba give alba offspring? Or will a number of them turn out to be a standard violet/lavendar incarnata with recessive alba genes. Again, very interesting. Let us know what sprouts!

• plantsofheaven
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do not want to sound mean. I am taken college classes and in one of my classes we learn about genetics. Amethyst may or may not come true from seed. See if you cross amethyst and amethyst, plant the seeds and only take the amethyst ones and cross them and continue the process eventually all the seeds they produce will actually be amethyst. Although most people do not waste time with it as it takes many many many years before most of the seeds will be amethyst. There is less then one percent chance that it will be amethyst if this process is not done. I do know that these probably will not be amethyst. Incarnata alba will come true from seed as it is not a cross of the standard incarnata. I planted 12 more seeds.
    Mike

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Ah, but Amethyst has sterile pollen, doesn't it? I'm too lazy to go check the books right now, but I don't recall Amethyst ever being the pollen donor in a hybrid--it's always the seed plant. So even if you could get clonal Amethyst to self-pollinate (which is what this would be) you're still facing that sterility problem. Not to sound mean. ;-)

• plantsofheaven
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, The true amethyst(passiflora amethystina) is not sterile at all but lavender lady also sometimes confused with the true one is very sterile. Below is a paragraph from the link I have here.
    "The original 'Amethyst' is a fertile plant that can produce orange fruits with a half-dozen or so small black seeds inside, & a tiny bit of edible pulp. 'Lavender Lady' is largely sterile, meaning it produces no pollen, but it will occasionally set fruit that is hollow or mostly hollow with only one small seed inside. So when you get a fruit you'll know certainly if it's really 'Lavender Lady' because it won't have much if any of the edible seeds & pulp inside a hollow maypop."

Here is a link that might be useful: Amethyst

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Ah. Terminology disconnect! P. amethystina is indeed a fertile species all in its own right. But if you call it "Amethyst" you're going to generate lots of confusion. "Amethyst" has been a popular hybrid since the 1800s. P. Amethyst is the one that sometimes sets fruit, and historically has also gone by the name "Lavendar Lady." To add to the confusion, though, Worrell released a hybrid in the early 90s that looked almost identical to the historic Amethyst, and named it "Lavendar Lady." This latest incarnation *is* sterile by all accounts. I've provided a link below to the amethystina blossom--it shares some colors with Amethyst, but the two flowers aren't terribly similar.

I recommend the Vanderplank book on passiflora, and/or the Ulmer & McDougal one. They're both excellent resources written by respected authorities on passiflora. I've used them to clear up I.D. problems in the past.

Good luck with your flowers. You've got a great mix and should have all sorts of wonderful blooms to enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: p. amethystina flower

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!