Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

Rooting hormones

jblaschke
17 years ago

Hey all, just wanted to pass along a tidbit. Back in the spring I posted about harvesting a bunch of incarnata from the wild and starting a bunch of cuttings. The cuttings sprouted but eventually died, and I discovered they never produced any roots. I'd been using Schultz's Take Root rooting hormone powder. Of all the cuttings I'd tried to start over the past year, I had maybe one success for every eight failures.

This, obviously, frustrated me, because according to all the books and online sites I'd researched, I was doing everything right.

So I figured "what can it hurt" and bought a package of Dip n' Grow, a liquid rooting hormone. Maybe it might work better. I had a chance two weeks ago to try it out, when my daughters' kittens attacked my beautiful Lady Margaret and ripped a long, beautiful vine from the plant. I cut it into six pieces, used Dip n' Grow and put them into my propogator in peat pots with a 50/50 mix of perlite and spagnum moss. As of yesterday, FIVE of them have roots growing out of the sides of the pots, while the sixth one died early on. That, my friends, is what I call a fantastic reversal of fortunes. I'll never use powder again.

Comments (5)