Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Foetida

karyn1
15 years ago

P. foetida has been the fastest seed to bloom passie that I've grown. It reached blooming size within 5 months. I wish all my passies from seed matured that quickly. I'm hoping that it will work to pollinate my P. sublancelata.

Karyn

Comments (15)

• linda-lu
    15 years ago

Hi Karyn,

Blooming size within five months? That's great fun. I'll make a note to get some seeds as well.

By the way, I did everything wrong with my aurantia, going by the book. Put it in nutrient-rich soil, bound it up, and keep it in a north facing sitting room. Yet even it is putting out a lot of new growth and it is full of new blooms. Now just to get it fruiting...

Never heard of sublancelata, but, good luck cross pollinating!

Rgds,

Linda.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My aurantia has produced quite a bit of fruit but so far they are just empty sacks. Two have ripened and there's nothing but pith inside. Not even any immature seeds. The sublancelata has a pretty 4" bright pink bloom.
    Karyn

• ninecrow
    15 years ago

Karyn please will you post a photo of your Foetida, I'll post one of mine soon
    Thanks
    NC

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's the foetida bloom. I think they are supposed to have an foul odor. I'm terribly congested and can't detect any scent at all. Maybe that's a good thing. lol
    Karyn

{{gwi:524963}}

• ninecrow
    15 years ago

Mine Owns my Window.... LOL

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mine are outside and will be cut way back before going into the greenhouse. I'm going to keep the passies cut back over the winter. Last winter I allowed them to continue growing in the GH and it was one big viney mess by the spring. It was nice having flowers during the winter but wasn't worth trying to tear my way through everything later on. The passies and other vines had wrapped themselves around everything.
    Karyn

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The foetida pollen worked and my P. sublancelata has a fruit! Now to see if it produces any viable seeds.
    Karyn

• ninecrow
    15 years ago

Please will you post a Photo, I Love looking at Flowers, fruit Photos
    Thanks
    My Foetida has got some Teny Tiny Buds on it... YAY

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's some fruit.
    Karyn
    sublancelata

foetida

morifolia

• ninecrow
    15 years ago

Thank You very much for the Photos Karyn

Don't know if you can see the Tiny bud on mine

Its at the base of the Long Tendril, very hard to photo as I didn't want to mess around with it too much in case I made the bud drop

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The foetida buds mature pretty fast. It looks like you have more then one bud there, maybe not it's hard to see. The edulis buds seem to take forever to bloom. I noticed a few the other day and they probably won't be open for a couple weeks, at least.
    Karyn

• ninecrow
    15 years ago

Same bud, much bigger...

• ninecrow
    15 years ago

This what I found when I came back from Granny's

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Soon, very soon : )
    Karyn

• passiflorapond
    13 years ago

Karyn, do you have an update on the fruits? Did you get any seeds?
    :)

Sponsored