Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
incarnata in a container

Posted by comeon 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 18, 06 at 11:34

Has anyone grown maypop in a container. I would like to plant one but would like to try and prevent it from taking over the entire garden. Has anyone tried this with success?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: incarnata in a container

I grow incarnata in a large pot. My passies don't like the acidic clay soil we have in our yard, but in a pot it does just fine. I use a pot with lots of drainage holes (sometimes I drill extra ones) and use a lot perlite or something mixed in with your regular potting soil for good drainage to prevent root rotting. I started mine from seed early this spring and it is now about tall as me (5'6"). It hasn't taken anything over but its own trellis so far :) I suppose it could still spread by seeds later though.

You may need to protect the pot in your zone in the winter because things don't seem as hardy in pots as in the ground.
Maybe someone from a zn 6 could comment more on that.
~SJN

o
RE: incarnata in a container

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 20, 06 at 5:09

I have done it successfully. I started mine in the ground first, however, dug them up & put them in pots. Use a deep pot, as vines do not like shallow ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here