Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeans_gw

Passiflora Endulis

JeanS
18 years ago

Rescue needed! I purchased Alata in March and as she wouldn't like the outside here I have her in the conservatory. She is now over 9ft (touching the roof). She has been showing yellow spots all over the leaves, like polka dots but between the partitions of the leaf. Sorry, I call it the framework. The three leaves at the base of the plant are okay but now a good half of the leaves are affected. I feel that this is a sign of lacking in something. No nasties around only bees. The only clay pot I could get was one of the modern ones with the glazing on the outside. I know this type will hold the moisture in. Not a good thing? I could only get miracle grow compost and I have dug in some large grit but this was after the spots started appearing. Loam was unobtainable but some might be on the way soon! I realise it may be too late for this plant but I am happy to take cuttings and start afresh if I knew what was wrong. I bought Endulis (in a plastic post, same compost) going like a bomb and Mollissima (same pot and compost) very happy but that was three weedy plants, Did I say weedy? Not anymore.

Comments (4)

• Mystyspassion
    18 years ago

That's what happened to mine before the leaves starting falling off. I know what I did wrong though; From what I am gathering there was too much salt in the soil there are a few methods for rinsing it out. I put too much Phosphorus in the soil; so I should have just taken the top two inches off right after watering; but instead of changed all the soil; I have found this was a big mistake. What I was told is that I should have just taken the top layer of the soil out and replaced it. One way to tell is right after it is watered Salt rises to the top of the soil, so you only need take the top inch or so off the soil to help the problem; If the problem is really bad; there is a method of rinsing the the whole root system; but I didn't read this article until after which is why my Caerulea is on it's last lets, but my Alata was saved by doing this. I had two different Passionflowers in the same Gigantic Pot. But here is the website where I read all about Nitrogen & Phosphorus over fertilization; and how to fix it. It may be a Fungi; but mine was too much phosphorus. Here is a website where you can do research: http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/passiflora-l.html * in the search section put Phosphorus; and just read the articles on excess phosphorus. Also try putting in Nitrogen as well as other search terms you may find specifically what you need. Hope this helped

• passionflow
    18 years ago

It could be some sort of bug so have a good look for little creatures.

Its high Potassium that they like and it may be a bit short of Magnesium too. Try a Rose Food or Tomato food with Iron Magnesium and Potassium amongst other things that should sort it. I use Levington Azalea, Camellia & Rhododendron ÂPlus Granular Plant Food.
    Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora nutrition

• JeanS
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry, it wasn't Edulis that is a problem but Alata is the one with the spotty leaves. I looked on the site that was suggested and I think mine are suffering from Chlorosis. I had forgotten that the minerals in the multigrow compost only lasted for six weeks so yes it probably does need a little more to keep it going. It is well over 8ft now and I didn't start feeding it with Tomorite until 2 weeks ago. I have removed the top 3 inches of soil and replaced with new, mixed with grit. the roots looked lovely and healthy so lets hope the newer leaves improve. I will try the Azalea etc feed. Rhododendrons grow wild and take over a few miles up the road from here. Will let you know how alata gets on. Thanks

• mehetabelle
    18 years ago

Spots on leaves sound like a fungal infection. Try the following in order. If the least drastic measure doesn't work, try the next one.

- wash plant well with water
    - wash with appropriate detergent made especially for plants
    - spray neem oil
    - put systemic fungicide in soil (this takes weeks-months to take effect so if the plant won't live that long, don't bother.)

Sponsored