Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrismac_flutter

Fuzzy PAssionvine...Help!!

chrismac_flutter
16 years ago

Okay, today I checked out our Home Depot that opened today. They were selling Passionvine incarnata. Okay so in all the pots, they all looked like incarnata excpet this one that was in the back. Is there such a thing as a passionvine that produces fuzzy leaves and vines? It is marked as this on the pot and the tag attached to the vine. The leaves are 3 lobed but the edges aren't smooth.

Flutter

Comments (22)

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

There are a number of passiflora species that have fine hairs on the vines and leaves. My guess without any additional information would be that it's one of the various foetida types. There are MANY foetida subspecies/varieties, some with blue flowers, some with pink, some with purple. Their leaves are highly variable. THere's link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: P. foetida

• chrismac_flutter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great. Now the info I have says goat scented. That is scary. I don't want goat smell in my garden. Do they all smell like goat?
    Will these little things show up once I have a flower? I don;t have any of them around the little tiny buds I have right now.

Flutter

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuzzy things

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

P. foetida only releases the scent when the leaves are molested. I have a foetida var. gossypiifolia at home, and in my experience it's relatively scentless. Other types may produce stronger odor.

The "fuzzy things" your looking at are the distinctive feathery bracts that surround all foetida flower buds. If yours don't develop bracts, then it's not foetida--it's some other passi... if it's a passi at all.

• hummingbird3172
    16 years ago

Nephrodes has kind of fuzzy leaves. I just got one and it is a little hairier than the other types I've got.

• chrismac_flutter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HUmmingbird, someone at DG also just pointed out to me the P. Nephroides. I just wonder what kind of luck it would be to get such a neat one from the local store that was mismarked.

Jblaschke. Those fuzzy bracts. do tehy show up as soon as a bud appears or when it actually opens. Right now i remember there being one bud but no bracts. P.S. I don't plan on molesting my plant so hopefully it won't smell. ;)

Flutter

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Sunburst stinks, not goat scented but like smashed lacewings~exactly! It is not fuzzy though.

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Very early on it looks simply like a bud, but after several days the bracts rapidly outgrow the bud, and form a hollow "cage" within which the bud grows to maturity. When the flower opens, the petals push the feathery bracts open. It's really pretty cool and alien-looking.

Of course, getting a nephrodes would be very cool as well. Earlier this year I visited the local Lowes, Wal-Mart and Home Depot plant sections, and every single one of them had woefully mislabled passion flowers. So it's entirely possible you lucked out. Heck, there's a nursery on eBay selling Incense as incarnata. When I cautiously pointed this out to them, the response was along the lines of "I think WE'RE the professionals here." Ah well, whatcha gonna do?

• hummingbird3172
    16 years ago

I ended up with an Imperatrice Eugenie from a Home Depot. For the longest time I could not find anything that looked just like my flowers...that is the only one that even comes close. It wasn't labeled, but I just bought it by looking at the flowers. Our local one has some Lady Margaret and then also a ton of them just labeled "Passionflower".

• chena
    16 years ago

Here is a pic of P. Nephrotes... This will be the 3rd time it has bloomed this yr..

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1131357}}

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Could it be vitifolia? It is supposed to have fine brown hair on the stems and leaves and also has 3-lobed leaves with serrated edges. It is also supposedly sold by Home Depot in some areas.

I have only once ever seen any passiflora locally at any of the big box stores here, but many of you in warmer areas mention them all the time. Must be a zone thing.

• chena
    16 years ago

Hey Kiwi!!!
    Like you I haven't seen Passi's in the BBS... Dang the luck!!! I do have a P. Vitifolia.. The leaves seem to be large, looking kind of like a grape leaf and the hairs that are on it are very insignifigant..
    Flutter maybe you could post a pic of what you got..
    Chena

• karyn1
    16 years ago

No passies, or much of anything else interesting at the BBS here either. My vitifolia has the grape looking leaves too. Honestly I never noticed any "hairs" on the stems or foliage. I'll have to go out and take a look. It finally started blooming again last week.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

BLOOMS!!! Please put up the pic's!!! Blooms here are hit and miss.. I love to see everyones beautiful plants...Chena

• chrismac_flutter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay ya'll here is a picture of my wierd fuzzy vine. Some people have said foetida and some have said Nephrotes. Now what do you think?

FLutter

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1131358}}

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Hmm. The leaves are more deeply lobed than my foetida, and not nearly as hairy. I don't think it's nephrotes, either.

You may well have to wait for it to blossom before we can ID it.

• passionflow
    16 years ago

Hi Folks
    Well I don't think it is P. nephrodes. The leaves are not correct. It could be a foetida from the picture - see link below showing the typical foetida bract bud cage which they all have. I think it is most likely though to be P. vitifolia as Kiwinut suggests. If it is P. vitifolia it should have a pair of petiole glands (see a pair of them at http://www.passionflow.co.uk/amclose12121.htm) at the base of the stem. As ever with Passiflora ID just be patient and as jblaschke suggests wait for the flowers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora foetida

• chrismac_flutter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like the mystery continues.

PAssionflow, i looked at the plant and it does have those petiole glands but then I looked at every one of my passi flowers (5 different kinds) and they all have the same little things. With the vitifolia, does the little buds look red? or have a tinge of red color? This one doesn't. I guess we will have to keep waiting. I'll let you all know!!

• karyn1
    16 years ago

My vitifolia buds do have a red tint, even when they are very small.
    Karyn

• chrismac_flutter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah!! The first bloom on my fuzzy passiflora. Check it out!! Don;t think vitiflora because the leaves don't flip that way they do. I think she is a Lady Margaret

Flutter

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Yep, that's Lady Margaret. It all makes sense now. Your initial description made me think of P. coccinea, which is covered with fine "fuzz", but it has un-lobed leaves, not 3-lobed.

If one of your incarnatas is blooming, throw some pollen on it!

• chrismac_flutter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, throw which pollen on which plant?? Help!! InCarnata on lady or lady on incarnata??

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Like many hybrids, Lady Margaret does not produce pollen. It will sometimes set fruit with incarnata pollen.