Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mystyspassion

New Shoots Drooping & Other 'QUESTIONS???'

Mystyspassion
18 years ago

Hi Everyone; a couple of questions for those who have some experience growing the following:

Passiflora Pura Vida, Incense & Purple Haze; I just received all three of these last week; I transplanted them into 15 Gallong Pots; since I put them in it hasn't really been very sunny at all; mostly rain but had good drainage in the pots; this morning the Sun Came out and the Tips of the Shoots on 2 of the Above are drooping; otherwise looking very healthy.

So what I would like to know is: How much Sun does each require; normally I would try different things myself BUT since they are each only 10 - 12" I don't want to stress or kill them I would just prefer to know what they prefer; any information would be great?!?!? What surprised me was the only Sun they have had today was Late Morning Sun so maybe it's something other than Sun causing the Drooping. All Suggestions, Comments & Answers are more than Welcome.

So what do each of the 3 above Need: Full Sun??? Partial Sun??? Limited Watering? Constant Moisture? etc., etc.,

Also my Alata Caruela has some rust colored veining; is that a fungus or does it have to do with the water; it's only on a few leaves?

Last Question? has anyone found a Nursery with "Ruby Glow" in Stock; I have been trying to purchase it all summer without luck.

Thanks

Comments (8)

• patsy_b
    18 years ago

When I repot passies or set them into the ground I try to shade them for about a week. If in a pot I put them under a tree or in some other bright shade, if in the ground I fix some kind of shade over them. As soon as they have adjusted to their new home I them put them into the sun. There are a few that I can not grow in Texas as we get too hot. I have all three of the ones you mentioned and they should do great in full sun.

Patsy

• Mystyspassion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Patsy; the Pura Vida looks fine today; but the Incense is completely drooping; I am going to try what you said I was having a hard time believing the sun could do that but it's the only thing that makes sense.

thanks

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

I haven't been able to find Ruby Glow either at any nursery or online ones either. Sure wish I could.

• Mystyspassion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sinner_gurl: Well I am going to keep trying to find it; if you find it first let me know and I will do the same.

Update: the only plant still having problems is the Incense: I don't think it's going to make it; the roots were no longer white and long; but I will do my best which is all I can do.

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

Hmm the comment about the roots makes me wonder if you have some type of root rot going on. Are the roots brown , or mushy, or getting brown or brittle breaking off on the bottom lower roots? If you pulled it out of the pot to see the roots, did you take a whiff (lol) sounds funny but sometimes it does have a bad odor. I don't know how big the plants are but if they aren't really large I think the sick one may do better in a smaller pot . Sometimes when you have a large pot with a small root system , the soil stays damp near the bottom or middle of the pot - the top may seem dry but if it stays wet down at the bottom and continues to be watered then root rot can set in. (I have had this happen in the past) I actually try to pot up in smaller degrees now and mix in cactus soil with the regular potting soil to promote good drainage. If your bottom roots are rotted on the plant you may as well cut off the bad part otherwise it will continue up the root system. Get a very sharp knife and sterilize it. Cut off anything brown,foul, mushy, or friable. Repot in pot appropriate for root size. Use well draining soil. Water in with lukewarm water then you can water with a little vit B1 or plant starter (make a very weak solution). Keep in shade, water only when dry and very gradually move into sun. Watch for new growth on the leaves. That is how you will tell if is bouncing back. ~This is just how I deal with a sick plant. If the roots are good I would just continue to watch it and be careful about the watering. It may just need time adjusting some passiflora are just picky about any changes. Especially if they came mail order and have been in a dark box for a time.
    Just my .02 hope it helps

• Mystyspassion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

sinner_gurl: well there was no coming back; all the leaves were drying almost to crisp; the roots were a light brown it was hard to say if they were smooshy because it was a new plant so the root system wasn't that strong yet; but they were white and longer. I realized when I took the pot off the table I temporarily had it on; the holes were being blocked which probably caused the Root Rot. I will probably just buy another one soon.

I just got some Granadilla Seeds; so I am soaking them now and will plant them in the next few days; maybe I can get one of them to come up. I also just got a new Passie (amethyst) from a ; I ordered quite a few varieties which I was thrilled about receiving & Ruby was supposed to be one of them but seeing as he was selling his whole stock out I guess I ordered too late; by the time he processed my order I guess only the Amethyst Was left; but at least I got one plant out of it; too bad too he had great sell out pricing.

I have checked so many websites for Ruby Glow and everywhere is sold out; I found a greenhouse in Germany that had them but I couldn't read German too well and I think they were sold out as well; I emailed them in English maybe they will answer.

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

Ah sorry about your plant. Maybe it was just weak or something before you got it. Granadilla is pretty too. Thompson and Morgan has passiflora_alata seeds(photo looks just like ruby glow) You only get like 6 seeds/pk for $5.95. I got some about 2 mos. ago and am trying to get them to sprout (one started to and then dried up- grrr). I heard they are really hard to sprout. Also got some incarnata at the same time and got 3 of those going. Here's the link in case you wanna try some seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thompson and Morgan

• Mystyspassion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sinner_gurl; yesterday I pulled a half dead leaf off of my Margaret; now this is the 2nd one I have pulled off in a week; at first I got upset; and then I had to put in my mind that all plants have leaf that dies off. The funny thing is that I notice with people who love growing passionflower plants get so upset whenever a leaf turns brown, falls off or any little thing that is natural to a plant.

I just came back from Home Depot today; now I know they always get their passionflower in July every year; so they had so many but the reason I don't think they are selling is that the bottom halfs were all dying leaves and the top half was getting all the sun, so they were completely entertwined together; they had 3 different species; 1 I think was probably Margaret since there seem to be alot this year; 1 was edula; the other I wasn't sure and none had pods or flowers because of lack of care. So I got her to mark 2 of them half price and have just dealt with 1 so far. Hopefully I will figure out what they are soon.

About the Alata; I found a site that may be getting them in this week if they do I will let you know; at first I thought Alata was Ruby Glow; because it seems some Nursery's will call them that; which got me confused because I know its called Phoenicia; but they do really look a lot alike; I think one is just darker than the other. I just got Citrine & Kewe in the mail the other day; they are small and seem like slow growers so I am going to plan on those coming in during the winter.

I don't seem to have any luck with seeds; I guess I am too impatient; but I keep trying; hopefully I will get these Granadilla planted today they have been soaking 48 hrs. now. Let me know how the alata seeds work out; maybe if you get yours too sprout I will buy some too.

Sponsored