Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbrya1

Passiflora Sprucei

dbrya1
16 years ago

I have had many fragrant passies,in the past years,including,Ruby Glow,Alto X Caerula,Edulis and Incense.

But by far this is the most powerful sweetest fragrant to date that I have grown,you can smell it's sweetnest over 10ft away,in the heat of the day.

Even the Bumble Bees,Love the smell,as you can see he has his nose stuck inside the flower,he was loud enough,I believe I could here the sound sniff,sniff!!!LOL

Comments (17)

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Beautiful pictures!
    I'm growing a few hybrid passionvines now, but my p. incarnatas are still the sweetest smelling ones out there! I can smell them from a great distance, too. I'll have to look up p. sprucei in my new passiflora books - it looks a lot like p. incarnata, so maybe it's related.
    MissSherry

• dbrya1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Please post some pics of your passies,very much interested in what your growing.
    Thanks
    Don

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Does it set fruit?

• dbrya1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Haven't seen any as of yet!

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Dbryal, here's a picture of 'Lady Margaret' on the left and 'Incense' on the right -
    {{gwi:506679}}
    And here's a picture of a p. biflora flower -

Would you believe I don't have a picture of p. incarnata? I guess I don't appreciate the common place! I'll take a picture of one tomorrow and post it.
    Most of my p. caerulea 'Waterloo Blue' mysteriously died off over the winter - winter before last it not only lived, but it kept some leaves all winter long, and some gulf frits actually overwintered as caterpillars, pupated and emerged around March! This year there's only one little piece of vine, and it hasn't bloomed yet - it was a beauty.
    Sherry

• dbrya1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Sherry,great pixs,I'll post a few of mine to compare the
    color of the flower.

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

I took these two pictures of a p. incarnata flower this afternoon, right before we had some big thunderstorms. It was getting dark, and it made the background on these pictures black!
    {{gwi:1131472}}
    {{gwi:518063}}
    Can you ID all your passionflowers for me? Is that last picture 'Lady Margaret'?
    MissSherry

• dbrya1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yes,
    1. Incarnata
    2.Constance Elliott
    3.Incense
    4.Ruby Glow Alata
    5. Lady Margaret.

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

That's what I thought they were, but then there are so many passionflowers I couldn't be sure.
    I also made a picture of 'Lady Margaret' this afternoon -
    {{gwi:461621}}
    MissSherry

• dbrya1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Very nice pix!!!!

• chills71
    16 years ago

I've got an Incarnata with 5-6 lobed leaves (as well as 3 lobed) which decided to open its first blooms today.

and a leaf in front of a piece of paper so it can be seen.

~Chills

BTW, I'm glad to say this plant returned this spring having overwintered!

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Are you sure it's p. incarnata, Chills? The coloring in the flower isn't the same, and I've never seen one with anything but three-lobed leaves.
    Maybe it's a hybrid.
    MissSherry

• chills71
    16 years ago

MissSherry

It might be a hybrid. I've got quite a number of them (mostly in pots) and all of them go outside for the summer. I did think it having all white petals was unusual for an incarnata.

~Chills

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Chills,

Where did you get it? That is definitely not your typical garden variety incarnata. Looks almost like what one would expect from 'Incense' crossed back to incarnata, except for the white petals and sepals. The speckles on the styles is also unusual for incarnata. Does it set fruit?

• melva
    16 years ago

That is good to know about Sprucei I just got one from someone on ebay...I think I managed to root some too from the piece of vine that broke off...I have a hard time throwing away any viable,... plant material

• dbrya1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chills,very pretty.
    Does it have a fragrance,or set fruit?

• passionflow
    16 years ago

Check out the link to tell if you have incarnata or Incense.

To distinguish P. incarnata from P. 'Incense' is very easy. P. incarnata always has its petiole glands (little bumps) at the end of the petiole, hard up against the leaf as shown in the link. It usually has three lobed leaves but may have five. P. 'Incense' has a pair of petiole glands half way up the petiole and usually has five lobed leaves but occasionally three.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora incarnata ID

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6