Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passiflora Sprucei

Posted by dbrya1 Z6KS (dbryan1@cox.net) on
Sun, Jul 29, 07 at 13:30

I have had many fragrant passies,in the past years,including,Ruby Glow,Alto X Caerula,Edulis and Incense.
But by far this is the most powerful sweetest fragrant to date that I have grown,you can smell it's sweetnest over 10ft away,in the heat of the day.

Even the Bumble Bees,Love the smell,as you can see he has his nose stuck inside the flower,he was loud enough,I believe I could here the sound sniff,sniff!!!LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora Sprucei

Beautiful pictures!
I'm growing a few hybrid passionvines now, but my p. incarnatas are still the sweetest smelling ones out there! I can smell them from a great distance, too. I'll have to look up p. sprucei in my new passiflora books - it looks a lot like p. incarnata, so maybe it's related.
MissSherry

o

Please post some pics of your passies,very much interested in what your growing.
Thanks
Don

o

Does it set fruit?

o

Haven't seen any as of yet!

o

Dbryal, here's a picture of 'Lady Margaret' on the left and 'Incense' on the right -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
And here's a picture of a p. biflora flower -
Would you believe I don't have a picture of p. incarnata? I guess I don't appreciate the common place! I'll take a picture of one tomorrow and post it.
Most of my p. caerulea 'Waterloo Blue' mysteriously died off over the winter - winter before last it not only lived, but it kept some leaves all winter long, and some gulf frits actually overwintered as caterpillars, pupated and emerged around March! This year there's only one little piece of vine, and it hasn't bloomed yet - it was a beauty.
Sherry

o

Hi Sherry,great pixs,I'll post a few of mine to compare the
color of the flower.

o

I took these two pictures of a p. incarnata flower this afternoon, right before we had some big thunderstorms. It was getting dark, and it made the background on these pictures black!
Can you ID all your passionflowers for me? Is that last picture 'Lady Margaret'?
MissSherry

o

yes,
1. Incarnata
2.Constance Elliott
3.Incense
4.Ruby Glow Alata
5. Lady Margaret.

o

That's what I thought they were, but then there are so many passionflowers I couldn't be sure.
I also made a picture of 'Lady Margaret' this afternoon -
MissSherry

o

Very nice pix!!!!

o

I've got an Incarnata with 5-6 lobed leaves (as well as 3 lobed) which decided to open its first blooms today.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

and a leaf in front of a piece of paper so it can be seen.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~Chills

BTW, I'm glad to say this plant returned this spring having overwintered!

o

Are you sure it's p. incarnata, Chills? The coloring in the flower isn't the same, and I've never seen one with anything but three-lobed leaves.
Maybe it's a hybrid.
MissSherry

o

MissSherry

It might be a hybrid. I've got quite a number of them (mostly in pots) and all of them go outside for the summer. I did think it having all white petals was unusual for an incarnata.

~Chills

o

Chills,

Where did you get it? That is definitely not your typical garden variety incarnata. Looks almost like what one would expect from 'Incense' crossed back to incarnata, except for the white petals and sepals. The speckles on the styles is also unusual for incarnata. Does it set fruit?

o

• Posted by melva 7b/8aTX (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 10, 07 at 16:24

That is good to know about Sprucei I just got one from someone on ebay...I think I managed to root some too from the piece of vine that broke off...I have a hard time throwing away any viable,... plant material

o

Chills,very pretty.
Does it have a fragrance,or set fruit?

o

Check out the link to tell if you have incarnata or Incense.

To distinguish P. incarnata from P. 'Incense' is very easy. P. incarnata always has its petiole glands (little bumps) at the end of the petiole, hard up against the leaf as shown in the link. It usually has three lobed leaves but may have five. P. 'Incense' has a pair of petiole glands half way up the petiole and usually has five lobed leaves but occasionally three.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora incarnata ID

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here