Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Siting for P. incarnata

Posted by hemnancy z8 PNW (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 14:33

I once had a P. caerula growing on the south side of my deck, on a slope. I don't actually water it there anymore, it's hard to get to. I grew a couple of incarnatas from seed, and was planning to put them there, I could try to remember to water. I could also put them on the south wall of my house but there is nothing to grow on. I can't think of places where they could be grown under a tree that have as good drainage, is that important?

Can they be planted out their first winter or do they need to be kept indoors over winter?

Will 2 seed-grown incarnates pollinate each other?

I was surprised when they sprouted, I had chilled them in the refrigerator and they weren't sprouting, so I kind of neglected to water them and suddenly they came up!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Siting for P. incarnata

You can plant them in the yard now, in your zone. Protect them with mulch for the first winter. They WILL go dormant, but should return in the spring/May and grow like fury.

These vines will get massive and spread via underground runners, so make sure you want it - you will have it forever. Don't plant it near your house foundation - it will grow up through the siding and into the attic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here