Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which plants cross-pollinate?

Posted by Bookwyrme California (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 15:11

Hi!

I've a passiflora incense growing vigorously and an alata, which I plan to transplant so that it will grow vigorously (right now it's competing too much with the already-established incense).

Anyway, I was planning on getting a 3rd passion vine in order to get fruit from the alata and, hopefully, the incense. Someone told me that a caerulea would be good for this--but which kind of caerulea? All I can find here is Passiflora alatocaerulea, which I'm told is a hybrid & sterile. Will it still cross-pollinate or should I hold out for some other kind? Would an edulis cross-pollinate with alata and incense?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which plants cross-pollinate?

ordinary caerulea will do the job
alatocaerulea won't. Be very careful re transplanting the alata-could easily kill it.
Myles

o

Yup- caerulea. Get one & use it as a polinator- even better get 2 as they're not self fertile. I have a load of caerulea seeds- I could send you a couple if you want to go that route.

I've been trying to polinate my altocaerulea for years.. Nothing works.

And yes be carefull digging up that alata- keep as much of the rootball intact & undisturbed as possible- Frankly if it were me I'd be afraid so I wish you luck.

o

Thanks for the answers!

I would appreciate some seeds, Krstofer. Do you want some Incense cuttings in return?

I'll be as careful as I can with the alata. I'd rather leave it where it is, but have learned that a passion vine can out-compete and out-grow any other plant around--except another passion vine. Hopefully, a move to a place where the incense doesn't have a lock will let it grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here