Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcmohn

Controlling my cuttings

jcmohn
18 years ago

At the beginning of summer, I took 4 cuttings from a caerulea, and 3 of them took. Now, they are growing like mad -- between one and two inches a day. I have them in 3 inch pots, with 3-foot stakes. The have reached the tops of the stakes, and are growing ever higher. Ultimately, they are destined for the outdoors, but they still seem a little too fragile, so I'm planning to keep them indoors a while longer.

My question is, what should I do with these things now that they have outgrown their stakes? Should I pinch off the growing ends and hope that they will send out new shoots? Would it be better to surround them with a cage so that they can spiral their way to the top? Or should I go ahead and plant them outside in a bigger pot?

I've never grown cuttings of any sort before, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Jon

Comments (7)

• srduggins
    18 years ago

I would pinch them back as they will grow new side shoots and be bushier plants instead of one long vine.

• joanmary_z10
    18 years ago

Well, I have the same problem. Bought the P. Lady Margaret for the butterfly larvae's to use as Food! I'd like to know where they are laying their eggs as its certainly not on this vine! Now I have to deal with the vine that has no controls! Not what I planned for! I wonder if I a large sign would help them navigate to it! :) Snikkerkitten, maybe I should run around the garden pointing to it as well!!!!

• patsy_b
    18 years ago

I have several Lady Margarets. I have never had a larve on one of them. Maybe they would eat them if I did not have others but they seem to like the Caeruleas, Incarnata, and Foetida. Occasionally I will get a few on my Incense but not often. I have a couple dozen of the more tropical ones that they do not bother either. The Lady Margret doesn't really need control for me. They are extremely slow growing but free flowering.

Patsy

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

i wish i had your problem! i started my cuttings in water. when they had enough roots i potted them. they aren't growing at all! i was about to post this when i read yours. please tell me what you are doing.

• jcmohn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi fairy toadmother.

I pretty much followed the instructions at:

http://www.passionflow.co.uk/cuts1.htm

I used rooting hormone, planted the cuttings in peat pots, and put them in a sealed plastic bag. After 3 - 4 weeks, roots appeared at the bottom of the pots. I took them out of the bags, planted them in a 4" pot, gave them a sunny spot in an east window, and kept the soil moist. It took another few weeks before they actually started growing. The bigger they get, the faster they seem to grow. Good luck with yours!

Patsy_b, I also have a Lady Margaret that seemed to be slow growing until about three weeks ago, when it suddenly just took off. It has about 40 buds on it now, and I'm guessing it's about two weeks away from blooming. I occasionally get gulf fritillary larvae on it, but they definitely seem to prefer my Lavender Lady and especially my caerulea. I plucked a fat one off of the Lavender Lady a while back, and brought it indoors so that my kids could watch it pupate and hatch, which it did do. They're beautiful butterflies, alright, and tenacious as well. When they come around to lay eggs, they are so determined that I can't shoo them away. I watched one lay 22 eggs one day!

-Jon

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

thanks, jon! perhaps it is the type of potting soil i am using, or inadequate light. however, i planted one of my cuttings outside. it remains green, but doesn't grow. my original that i started from seed is growing. very odd.

• mysticmoon
    18 years ago

Can all of the different types root out in the peat pots? I received some cuttings have rooting hormone on them and placed them in water till I can get something else I can get some more peat pots if they will all root out. Some are very small clippings also does it matter if there is not a joint at the end of the stem? Well these even root out?

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County