Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
virraszto

What is this passionflower I planted from seed?

virraszto
14 years ago

My aunt has this passion flower growing at her house. Last year, I took some of the fruit and got the seeds from it. They were hard as a rock, so I soaked them in paper towel....for weeks! They never sprouted. I cut the tips off them and threw them in a little pot my kids used to grow grass for the cats. It had no holes for drainage. I just threw them in there for the heck of it. Low and behold...they are growing! I was able to drill a couple small holes in the bottom. I am afraid to transplant them. ;(

Here is what I have. ( 1st photo)

And here is what it came from. Is this called May Pop? If not, what is it?

V.

Comments (9)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

It looks like P. incarnata (Maypop) to me. Very pretty.

• eristal
    14 years ago

That is adorable! I love the fact that you grew the unknown Passiflora from seed, and never gave up. That's great. I respect the effort.

As far as identification, I would agree with Karen, that it is a Passiflora incarnata. Where did the seeds come from? Was it growing wild in your aunt's yard, or did she buy it?

It is beautiful, and I would be very interested in obtaining one. I have many Passifloras, and if you have any interest, I would be happy to trade with you. Send me an email if you have any interest.

Happy gardening!
    Eric

• virraszto
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Eric,

My aunt's father in law planted this over 30 yrs ago on the side of her house in MI and it's been there ever since. She said he got it from down south somewhere. I don't know if he started it with a cutting or seed.

I would be happy to send you a few of these seed, or even trade. How do I find your email address?

V.

• eristal
    14 years ago

V,

Simply click on my name "eristal" above, and then click on "send me an email". That's it! You can also look at my trade list while you are there.

Eric

• nivolle
    14 years ago

That is a beautiful picture. Well done. I have the very same Passion Flower, but want some different varieties. I'm new to this forum and did not realize how many different varieties there are. It is overwhelming!

Constance

• jkrup44
    14 years ago

Very pretty flower. Maypop was the first type of Passiflora I ever saw, although I don't have it. Thanks for sharing the picture.
    Josh

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Constance,

Do you grow P. caerulea 'Constance Eliot'? That might be perfect for you if you don't. I *think* it can grow in your climate and it's also easy to propagate. I don't have it, but many who read this forum do. If you don't have it, hopefully someone will volunteer to send you a cutting. If not, let me know--there should be a way to track some down without paying for it.

Unfortunately the hybrid P. parritae x caerulea 'Constance Eliot' seems to dislike the heat, much like it's parritae parent.

• nivolle
    14 years ago

Mark, thank you. You are kind.

I think I have the "Constance Eliot". I have, only, two Passion Vines, that one and the Maypop. I did not realize, until visiting this forum, there were so many varieties! It is overwhelming.

I am new to Garden Web and to this Forum. I do not always call them by the correct name, but would like to have any other varieties. I'm not picky, I just enjoy the flowers, of what I do have, so much.

Constance

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

It looks like p.incarnata. but mines flowers are litght pink, not purple. It could be due to camera or maybe soil ph has to do with it.Any way, it is the most fragrant and beautiful flower i have seen. Alas, it lasts just one day.

cyrus