Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfrobenius

First Passion Vine

Jfrobenius
18 years ago

Hi there,

I just bought my first passion vine. After seeing it's bloom @ a week ago, it was love at first sight.

When I bought it I was told to keep it in the pot that she came in for fee it may not take well to a move. I just put up a trelles on my patio, trimmed her and are seeing the most beautiful flowers begin to pop! So exciting.

Just want to make sure that I don't damage her in any way...as my husband seems to think I was born with a brown thumb.

Can anyone give me simple tips to help make sure that my beautiful vine stays beautiful?

1. The weather has been hot & humid so I water her daily.

I'm told she needs full sun, however I have her in shade depending on the time of day? Which is best?

2. Would it be best to move her out of her pot? When I got my passiflor, they informed me to leave her where she was for fear that she may not adjust to the change well?

3. In the fall, I'm assuming I need to clip her and take her inside? Then again, someone mentioned, planting her and ensuring she is protected by the winter elements (hay, mulch, cover, etc.)

We are in PA, hot in the summer, cold in the winter...any suggestions for a new Passion Vine Owner?

Thanks, Jen.

Comments (2)

• dbrya1
    18 years ago

Do you know the vareity?
    What size of pot is she in?
    How tall is the plant now?
    Incarnata,and Caerula,have been hardy here in my zone 6,but all the other passifloras I bring in to overwinter.

• Jfrobenius
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for responding. I have no idea of the variety. It's a beautiful purple with yellow in the center.
    Pot is medium size and seems to fit the plant with a little room at the base. Height is approx 3 feet (i've untangled the vines and worked them on the trellis...they were getting a little unruley. Seems to be doing well...

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida