Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mystyspassion

Identification of Passionvine * No Lobe Leaf * No Tendrils

Mystyspassion
18 years ago

Myles & Anyone Else who read my Post about Home Depot either mislabeling or is this a Passionflower Vine. I went and purchased the Vine Today and took some Pics and would love opinion if this is a Passionflower Vine or Not; it is just labeled Passionflower Vine.

{{gwi:1131635}}

Here is another Pic:

{{gwi:1131636}}

and here is a pic of the tip:

{{gwi:1131637}}

Comments (12)

• Mystyspassion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry didn't realize they would be this small I will try to enlarge if anyone is interested

• singhin
    18 years ago

If possible enlarging would be helpful. In the small pics almost looks something like a Mandavilla, but hard to tell for sure.

• Mystyspassion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1131638}}

• singhin
    18 years ago

I'm certainly no expert. Don't think it's a passion flower and now with the enlarged photo don't thinks it's a Mandavilla either. I kinda recognize the leaf, but not sure what's called. Do you have a true nursery nearby, I would think they would know if someone on the forum doesn't. Or you could wait and be in for a surprise :)

Sorry couldn't help after all.

• sgeorgia
    18 years ago

Were there any tendrils?

• dragonking
    18 years ago

I've got a plant with leaves that look like these and it's a Jasmine. But I'm not saying yours is a jasmine though.

• Mystyspassion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's Definately a Vine & There are No Tendrils; It was brought in with 3 other Species of passionflower Plants; the woman that works in Home Depot told me the day they were Delivered they were already labeled and only Passionvines came in that day and their were 4 different Species. Now the other 3 were definately Passionvines; but I had a hard time believing this was; I took the Advise of Myles and bought it; and if it flowers I will be able to see for Sure. I have the Book from Torsten and their are definately Passionvines with Leaves like this that don't have Tendrils; from what I understand 5% dont have tendrils. If & when it flowers that will be the only real way to tell I think.

• passionflow
    18 years ago

I would say not a passion flower.
    Myles

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Looks like a Thunbergia of some sort. These leaves look a lot like the leaves on my T. battiscombei or my T. thompsonii. Do a google.com search for Thunbergia and then click on 'images' at the top of the screen. See if you can i.d. it there.

• Mystyspassion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have been looking at Tropical Vines on Tons of Sites although some come close I haven't come across a Vine exactly like it yet. The Thunbergia seems to have a slightly different edging on the leaf so I don't think it's that.

The only way I think I will know for sure is wait until it Flowers; then I should be able to identify it; but I will keep looking; most of the Passi's even if they don't have tendrils have some P.glands; and this dosen't but I am sure I will figure it out by the end of Summer; it's a shame they are probably mislabeled because someone who isn't familiar with PF might buy it thinking it is.

• chills71
    18 years ago

I have an edulis whose leaves are very similar. Its 3 years old, I cut it back regularily (or it would take over the world) and it regrows both single and lobed leaves.

~Chills

• dbrya1
    18 years ago

Looks like Bleeding heart,Cleodendrun Thompsonii

Sponsored