Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummingbird3172

Easiest Passifloras from seed?

hummingbird3172
16 years ago

I've gotten three kinds of seed: Murucuja, flavicarpa, and mollissimma. I guess it's been about 2 months since I planted the mollissimma, no signs of anything. I tried soaking the next group in juice...keeping my fingers crossed but it seems slow going.

Comments (7)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I haven't had any luck with mollissima seeds, haven't tried flavicarpa from seed and I've always started murucujas from cuttings. I have great germination rates with the seeds from my amethystina and vitifolia plants. I'd say almost 100% sprout. I've also had good results with actinia and malformis seeds and to a lesser degree with antioquensis seeds.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

Mollissima is one of the easiest for me within a week.. I just started some more..Trying to use the seed I have.... The Actina, quadrangularis, Ligularis and Panana Red all within 15/17 days (starting them outside in flats)...I do have a handful of others that are real sloooow pokes...Some I have just given up on...LOL

Chena..

• louisianamark
    16 years ago

I had some quadrangularis come up within a week, and caerulea within 2 weeks, but everything else seems to take 6 weeks or more. I have had faster results with some by first letting them soak in wet paper towels for a week before planting them. And I do use a heat mat set to 85 degrees for 12 hours a day. I have heard of some passies taking 7 months, so I guess the rule of thumb is to keep waiting!

Mark

• hummingbird3172
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, that seems pretty fast for most!

I tried a new batch where I soaked them in juice, then I put them in peat pellets ziploc baggies to keep them hot and humid. I've got them out of the sun, but outside where it is VERY warm. I am hoping this next group sprouts faster than the others have. They looked like they were about to split the seed coat when I got them out of the juice so maybe I'll have a bit more luck!

Thank you! :-)

• chrismac_flutter
    16 years ago

So the basic rules of seed growing, soak soak and soak?
    Is it safe to soak in Passionjuice until you see a sprout? Can you nick it and then soak it?

I have sanded them down in the past and ruined the seed so want to try to sprout them the best and safest method

Flutter

• louisianamark
    16 years ago

Hi Flutter,

I would not use passionflower juice. It may well have germination inhibitors--to keep the seeds from sprouting while they're still inside the fruit. I'd just use distilled water or water that you leave out for 24 hours (to let the chlorine evaporate). Then plant, keep warm and moist, and wait.

Good luck!
    Mark

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

It's not necessary to nick or sand the shell of passiflora seed. It's my understanding that unlike, say, Pride of Barbados, passi seeds are not impervious to water. If they were, soaking them wouldn't do any good.