Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Have you seen its leaves?

mark4321_gw
14 years ago

This post is intended as a response to eristal's "Have you seen it bloom"

Almost all of my plants are less than year old, and no I haven't seen many of them bloom.

I know that others are waiting for their plants to bloom as well. Well, some Passifloras have striking leaves--in fact some species/hybrids are grown mainly for their showy leaves.

So here are some pictures of some of my favorite leaves of plants that haven't bloomed for me. I've bought all of these plants since April.

I realize this isn't as flashy a thread as one with flowers, but I know there are some really cool leaves out there--please add pictures of yours.

I think a lot of people grow Passiflora membranacea for its leaves, since it's probably not easy to bloom outside coastal California (although I'd love to hear from people who bloom it elsewhere). The leaves can be almost round, green on one side, purple on the other--very striking. Here's my plant in April--it's hard to imagine it was ever this small!

I bought Passiflora sanguinolenta in May--no blooms yet. The variegated leaves remind me of butterflies in flight:

In June I got Passiflora 'Mission Dolores' (parritae x antioquiensis). I like the narrow lobes and the dark green color. On its left is a P. parritae that I babysat for a week. I think that 'Mission Dolores' lobes are even narrower than P. parritae, at least for these two plants.

And I guess that brings us up to July--this month. I just posted the picture of the P. parritae x caerulea hybrid on a different post. It looks a lot like P. parritae, except sometimes the leaves have 5 lobes of very different lengths--I think that's really cool.

Comments (11)

• daveh_sf
    14 years ago

Yes, P. membranacea is pretty cool, especially when the wind flutters its leaves. Another really cool one is P. boenderi. Unfortunately it's hard to grow in San Francisco outside of a greenhouse because it needs heat. Slugs love it too. The yellow spots on the leaves are a great example of Heliconia butterfly egg mimicry (see link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Boenderi egg mimicry

• eristal
    14 years ago

Ok, my turn:

P. 'Donna Brigham' - I thought the texture was interesting.

P. 'Sunburst' backside. Sorry, couldn't get a good one of the front.

P. mexicana

P. tricuspis

P. foetida

P. bogotensis

P. rubra

P. 'Adularia'

P. sanguinolenta

P. x decaisneana

P. 'Fledermaus'

P. 'Flying V'

P. 'Manta'

That's all for now. I would like to have posted a few more including P. 'Marian', but the pictures turned out blurry. Next time...

Happy gardening!
    Eric

• miracureleanu
    14 years ago

How can i upload pictures?

I had bought 2 passifloras which did not bloomed yet and i am curious about their specie.

Best regards, Mira

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mira,

Get an account at Photobucket (there are also other sites). Upload your pictures there. If you click on your small picture to get the large (but not the largest) size, it will say on the left "Share this Image". Click to the right of where it says "HTML Code". It should copy that and you can paste it into the message. When you click "preview message", if everything is working you will see the image.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Here's P. cuprea and P. perfoliata.

• miracureleanu
    14 years ago

How can i upload a picture? mira

• jkrup44
    14 years ago

Here is my Passiflora trifasciata.

Josh

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mira,

See my post from Thursday.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Mira if you need detailed instructions on how to post a photo to this forum send me an email. You didn't post any contact info so I couldn't send you an email.

• angellilly
    14 years ago

Very cool pictures ppl! Daveh, P. "flying V" leaf looks like a stealth fighter...a green one lol!

• eristal
    14 years ago

Here's my new P. foetida. Let's keep the string alive!

I'll get P. colinvauxii leaves up soon, as they are magnificent...

Happy gardening!
    Eric Wortman

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists