Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Have you seen its leaves?

mark4321_gw
14 years ago

This post is intended as a response to eristal's "Have you seen it bloom"

Almost all of my plants are less than year old, and no I haven't seen many of them bloom.

I know that others are waiting for their plants to bloom as well. Well, some Passifloras have striking leaves--in fact some species/hybrids are grown mainly for their showy leaves.

So here are some pictures of some of my favorite leaves of plants that haven't bloomed for me. I've bought all of these plants since April.

I realize this isn't as flashy a thread as one with flowers, but I know there are some really cool leaves out there--please add pictures of yours.

I think a lot of people grow Passiflora membranacea for its leaves, since it's probably not easy to bloom outside coastal California (although I'd love to hear from people who bloom it elsewhere). The leaves can be almost round, green on one side, purple on the other--very striking. Here's my plant in April--it's hard to imagine it was ever this small!

I bought Passiflora sanguinolenta in May--no blooms yet. The variegated leaves remind me of butterflies in flight:

In June I got Passiflora 'Mission Dolores' (parritae x antioquiensis). I like the narrow lobes and the dark green color. On its left is a P. parritae that I babysat for a week. I think that 'Mission Dolores' lobes are even narrower than P. parritae, at least for these two plants.

And I guess that brings us up to July--this month. I just posted the picture of the P. parritae x caerulea hybrid on a different post. It looks a lot like P. parritae, except sometimes the leaves have 5 lobes of very different lengths--I think that's really cool.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting