Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eristal

Favorites

eristal
14 years ago

Hello folks,

I'm always interested to hear which Passifloras are people's favorites and why.

So:

- Your favorite Passiflora that you own; and why it's your favorite.

- Your most wanted Passiflora that you do not own; why you want it; and why you don't have it yet.

Feel free to post pictures! That's always fun.

Though I thought of the questions, the answers will require some thought. I'll post mine after a little consideration...

Eric

Comments (13)

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Eric,

I guess I don't have one favorite, but a couple.

P.edulis is one--because it has both nice flowers and is generous with fruit. This is my first season it's fruited--I have both 'Nancy Garrison' and 'Frederick' and 'Nancy Garrison' is the one that will be giving me a ton of fruit in the near future (it already has 38 fruits).

A picture of the flower (I posted this before):

A recent picture of some fruit (I actually haven't tasted this yet).

Another favorite is P. x exoniensis (P. antioquiensis x P. tripartita var. mollissima. I've had this since March and it's been in nearly continuous bloom since then. A really spectacular and floriferous plant. Someday I hope to get fruit with that one--I'm looking for pollen or eventually I should have some from my P. tripartita var. mollissima which hasn't bloomed yet.

This may be the first flower--I don't remember. This is tipped on it's side so you can see it--normally the flowers are pendant. I've also posted this picture previously:

Actually this plant is now Karyn's--I bought two at the same time at Strybing.

The plant that I'm waiting for is P. 'Manta'(P. xiikzodz x P. coriacea) and I'm waiting for a couple trades to be completed to get it.

Here's a picture from Grassy Knoll:

http://gkexoticplants.com/products/Passiflora_Manta_4_pot-61-1.html

I just bought what I anticipate will be a future favorite plant--P. 'Mission Dolores' (P. parritae x antioquinsis). One of my criteria for favorite plants is that I can propagate them--and this one is easy. I haven't seen the flowers in person, but I've been told that this is a mislabled figure showing the plant--with 16-24" peduncles and 6-7" flowers it promises to be spectacular:

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/passiflora_parritae_x_exoniensis.htm

• love4vines
    14 years ago

Hello Sweetie!

Hmmmm......as you well know, I have a very hard time picking a favorite. Especially since it changes with whatever is blooming or has started blooming for the first time :-D.

I guess I might have to pick P. citrina or P. 'Incense'. They have been good 'ol old timers in our yard and have overcome many obstacles throughout those many years.

P. citrina has survived a winter with 2 weeks of straight freezing temps at night with one night reaching 19F. It always comes back and blooms profusely throughout the warm months. How could you not love such a dainty little trooper.

As for P. 'Incense', it is hardy, it is vigorous and it has very large fragrant flowers non-stop from around April until sometimes late November to early December. I know some have a hatred for this vine due to it's ability to consume a yard. I don't have too much of a problem since ours is surrounded by concrete. It may not be a fav of mine if it behaved inappropriately.

Darn! I just remembered P. x violacea. That one has to be mentioned just for the fact that it has flower buds all year around. Even during the coldest days in January, those flower buds are speckled all over the vine. They stay closed until we get a day with a bit of sun and then they open up. It is a blooming trooper and even with only the flower buds on the vine, the color it provides is beautiful during such a drab time of the year.

Now for the ones that I want (Eric, pay close attention to this section lol):

P. tucumanensis - Ahhh, if only I could find this vine. I would even take a reliable seed source for this one. I want it because it is a very hardy little cutey that is a great parent plant. I haven't seen this available in the U.S. and I can't find any place in Europe that will ship to the U.S.

and

P. harlingii - Why? Because it is just so cool! I love the unique color combination, the unusual floral structure and how large the flowers are! I don't have this because from what I've read, this Passiflora has been a failure under cultivation.......meaning.....it probably can't be found in many (if any) collections. I am also not planning a trip to the Andes of Ecuador any time soon. Even if it was available, it is a given that I would probably kill the poor thing in a week.

I know there are many more that I want, but those are a couple I can think of off the top of my head that I cannot get. That by default makes me want them more :-)!

Hopefully we can hear from a few others out there, so I can find other Passies to add to my want list!!

Happy gardening to all!
    Crystal

• passionlove
    14 years ago

Hello again Crystal..
    In response to you about P.tucumanensis, Georgia Vines carries it. Looks like she is sold out now, but she does usually have it. Let me know if you need more info and I'll email ya.

Ok my fav passies..very hard choice.. So far of the ones that I have, I also like the P.Incense (like Crystal) and my P.Inspiration. This beautiful big purple flower was the reason I started my fascination with passies. It was also the Alata that got me so fascinated, but can you believe I don't even have that one yet cause I was sold the wrong plant:(

My 2nd favorite of what I have is probably the P. Reflexiflora. It has nice dainty three lobed leaves and it has been the most free flowering vine I have and it's in a pot. It is very easy to care for and the flowers are a nice bright pink color. Online photo

This was a hard choice because I really love all my passies, but those 2 have been great bloomers.

Now, my favorites that I'm still waiting to see blooms on are P.Racemosa and P.Exoniensis. Those will probably become my fav if I ever see the flowers in real life. I love intense colors!

Ok Passies that I really want that are my fav:

P.Corry Rooymanns - (P. 'Rosa Stern' x P. alata.) Look at this gorgeous photo:

I have never seen this available anywhere.

P.Picturata - This one is hard to find (only have seen seed in one place) and I love the leaves and how the color is such an intense purple underneath. The colors are quite intense too. Here it is: P.Picturata

Here is a lovely hybrid with an intense blue color, P. Blue Stripper (P. incarnata x umbilicata) I'm not sure if it was ever availbale, but the blue color is just awesome. There is a photo on thisPage
    I have also been looking for P.Umbilicata for a while. I love the colors and the leaves.

Anyway besides those, I'm always looking for more P. Racemosas. Mine will take some time to flower. I believe it is the P.Racemosa 'Buzios'. I would love to find P. Racemosa 'Corioca'. There are so many passiflora's that I want and totally adore, so the list can go on & on, so I won't bore you. Where would I ever fit all the vines I want?

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

This is interesting--Eric, passionlove and myself are all looking for P. umbilicata. Even if it's not everyone's most wanted plant, it's certainly the consensus wanted plant. If anyone is looking for a commercial source, I just checked and Grassy Knolls is selling it and it is available (no wait list). In general for unavailable species it might be worth contacting Elizabeth at Grassy Knolls because no doubt she has plants in addition to the 100+ that she lists online. If she gets a new plant I'm sure she cant immediately propagate lots of it (although I'm sure if anyone can propagate a plant she can--I mean that they are probably too small).

passionlove--do you know of anyone who blooms P. x exoniensis or P. manicata in Florida? I've been trying to find this out for a while.

• jkrup44
    14 years ago

I am a beginner, and several of my Passiflora are young and haven't shown their blooms yet. But, so far I would have to say that my favorite is 'Incense'. The flowers are incredible and they smell kind of like a cross between fruity candy and roses. It is likely that I could change my mind about my favorite as my collection expands and some of my young plants grow enough to show their flowers and/ or produce fruit.

• eristal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's time for me to finally post mine. I had to find my pictures, and in the case of one, go take some. Here we go:

I think I would have to break my favorites into categories.

The award for best overall performance goes to: Passiflora ÂIncense for his vigor and nonstop long blooming period with little to no problems.

The award for the most unique flower goes to: Passiflora umbilicata x Passiflora tucumanensis for itÂs fun flower morphology and it blooms extremely well in spring and fall.

The award for scent undoubtedly goes to: Passiflora mooreana  Unimaginable fragrance for a Passiflora. Somewhat like gardenias and very strong from many feet away with only one small flower.

The award for color vibrancy goes to: Passiflora x exoniensis x Passiflora umbilicata for being even more vibrant than his mother. The camera cannot even come close to capturing the colors.

As far as wants go, there are so many: P. xiikzodz is one that comes for mind for his striking contrast. Also, P. coccinea and P. racemosa someday when I have a greenhouse. From what I read, they wouldnÂt do well here. As with most people, I could go on and on I basically want anything I donÂt have.

Happy Gardening!
    Eric

• love4vines
    14 years ago

Hello again everyone!

Wow Eric! I love the pictures of the P. umbilicata x P. tucamenensis. What a great photographer! I wonder whose camera you stole those off of. Mine......since you didn't take any pictures of this one this year ;-P!

Hey there PassionLove!!
    I am so very happy to hear that P. reflexiflora is one of your favs! Now I can't wait! I was out there earlier today saying nice things to him so that he'll start growing for me. I even mentioned you just in case he's home sick. LOL. Sorry I can't help but be corny sometimes!

I also love the P. 'Blue Stripper'. That one is a beauty! I even emailed Henk Wouters to see if he was ever going to offer this one in the U.S. I didn't get a response, but that is to be expected......he's probably busy making more great hybrids for the world or just Europe.....lol. It was just registered in 2007 so I'm still hoping that Elizabeth will get a hold of it for us soon since she does carry some of his other hybrids that he registered in 2004 and 2005!

If you ever see the P. tucumanensis available on Georgia Vines again, please let me know. Every time I check, they're sold out. I don't think I have ever seen it available there. Must be bad timing on my part ;-D.

Hello Mark4321,
    I am glad to see the pictures of P. edulis 'Nancy Garrison'. You weren't kidding about it fruiting well. I can't wait to get it going to see if we get the same kind of fruit production that you do. The P. edulis 'Fredrick' always drops its flower buds when it gets hot, so hopefully P. edulis 'Nancy Garrison' will not have this same issue. The cuttings look great, but no roots yet.

Crystal

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Crystal,

I *think* that 'Nancy Garrison' didn't set fruit during our heat wave last weekend (upper 90s Saturday and Sunday). It's easy to tell these days, since nearly every flower has led to fruit lately. But of course if they're adapted to high temps then they might not be as affected. If we get some weather around 90 I'll watch what happens--I know you get a lot of summer weather around that temp.

I'm really looking forward to the P. umbilicata x P. tucumanensis flowers after seeing those photos!

• passionlove
    14 years ago

Hey Mark4321
    Yeah I haven't had the best success the P.Exoniensis. It's growing but not really flourishing. It attracts scale, but lately I haven't seen any on it thank goodness. It still has no flower buds:( I don't have any passiflora buddies in FL so I cant say how the Exoniensis does in FL. So are you thinking about buying the P.Umbilicata from Grassy Knolls? I'm not sure yet.

Crystal,
    I'm glad your giving the Reflexiflora some TLC. I kind of think the flowers are like a mini version of the exoniensis when it is totally open. The flower is only about 2.5 to 3 inches though, but I like the pink. It's a cute dainty vine.
    Yeah the blue stripper has quite the color. I hope that Henk still has that one.
    Have you ever seen a P.Picturata anywhere? I really want that one. I have talked to Elizabeth from Gassy Knolls and she wants it too, but said that it was very hard to root. The Racemosa is also very hard to root and she was thinking about grafting it... I'll let you know if I see the Tucamenensis anywhere.

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Passionlove,

I actually have 9 P. exoniensis cuttings with roots at various stages and hopefully number 10 will come along any day now. I should have two going to Florida, although I'm not sure if I've asked the second person if he wants one. Since they're young, I'll probably recommend that they keep them inside until it starts to cool down. It might be worth having a thread about growing exoniensis (or maybe Tacsonias in general) in places with warm summers--I know of several people who are interested in that subject. Have you ever thought about bringing your plant inside all summer? Of course many people bring their plants in for the winter. I don't see too much difference, except that summer tends to be a period of more active growth for most plants.

How much sun and shade do you give your P. exoniensis at different times of the day?

Someone is trying to root a P. umbilicata cutting for me. He got his plant from Grassy Knoll.

• kiwinut
    14 years ago

I contacted Georgia Vines last summer about tucumanensis. She said she was having a really hard time keeping these alive, so I guess that is why these are not yet available. I bought some seed from Germany that was supposed to be tucumanensis, but turned out to be edulis. The closest you may find is P. 'Guglielmo Betto' from GK, which is incarnata x tucumanensis.

Eric, does your 'Jutta' sib produce viable pollen like P. 'Jutta'? Does it set fruit? P. 'Jutta' is supposed to have delicious fruit.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I really enjoy incense, Crimson Tears and vitifolia because they bloom so well for me and the vitifolia and CT have such bright blooms. I think my favorites are alata, decaisneana and other similar looking blooms. I just got Purple Tiger which is a quadrangularis cross but it has yet to bloom. I couldn't say which is my most wanted as there's so many that I'd love to try and I keep finding new varieties that I like but I would love to find a pinnatistipula. I don't have it because I can't find it. I'm happy to say that the exoniensis is doing well. Temps have finally reached the average highs and it's in the greenhouse which I'm now using as a cooling room. Hopefully my other passies that like the cooler temps will do as well in there.

• jimshy
    14 years ago

OK,

Faves and favorite wannahave's:

P. alato-caerulea was my first passie and still my fave for ease of bloom, fragrance, and survivability indoors.

P. standleyii -- sure, it's an oddity, with small flowers, but it's cute, small, and has been almost bulletproof as a houseplant.

Wannahaves:

A big alata type like phoenecia, Ruby Glow, or triloba -- if only I had room for one . . . .

Vitifolia var. bracteosa -- there's a spectacular one at the NYBG, the persistent bracts and red-tinged foliage really grab me; I've tried vitifolia once or twice but had trouble keeping it going.

Eric,

Mooreana is fragrant??? You're frikkin' kidding!

I love fragrance, and fragrant passies in particular, and I *had* this one, couldn't flower it indoors, and gave it up!
    D'oh!!

Where'd you get yours, I haven't heard reports of fragrance on this one before, perhaps different clones have variable scent strength?

Great thread!

Jim

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH