Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild passi, probably incarnata

Posted by billnjenn (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 28, 06 at 18:43

I recently found an area that had many, many wild P. Incarnata growing on it. I dug up a vine and brought it home and tried to plant it, but the leaves have completely wilted, dried, and fallen off--even though I've watered them religiously. Should I try to make a cutting instead? Would it work this far into the season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild passi, probably incarnata

It's possible you over-watered. Passis don't like wet feet--I found this out to my dismay through personal experience. I suggest you back off and see if the roots sprout new growth, watering only when the soil gets dry.

Alternately, you might go back to that field and harvest some ripe fruit and plant a bunch of those seeds where you'd like them to sprout next year. You should get some coming up next year.

o

I wasn't aware that didn't like to be kept moist. We were in an extremely hot pattern of temperatures during that time, so the soil was drying quite quickly. I have a P. Caerulea and P. Edulis, so I guess I can just wait and get some of the ripe fruit as there should be plenty--judging by what is on the vine now.

Will Incarnata flower the first season of planting from seed?

o

I'm not sure if it'll set fruit, but it will flower if you started the seed early in the spring. I started one from seed back last August, and put it in the ground around the beginning of April. It's pretty sprawling right now, with several dozen flower buds on it and half a dozen fruit.

It's easy to over-water these plants when the temperature goes up. I did the same thing back in May when we had a two-week stretch where it hit triple digits on the mercury. I actually likked a vitifolia and a tenuiloba by watering daily in the mistaken notion I needed to "compensate" for the unseasonable heat. Moderation, as with all things, is the key I've learned. ;-)

o

It's a good possibility that I overwatered, then. I was watering on a daily basis. I'm not really looking for fruit for the incarnata, just flowers as I would like to use the pollen for cross pollinating. Thanks for more information, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here