Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dahlias_bloom

Newbie at Maypop- just heard the name today

dahlias_bloom
9 years ago

I was taking vegetation to the throw out pile when something interesting caught my eye. I snapped the pictures (sorry about both qualities as I had shaky hands). After a little searching I found out it was a Maypop Passion vine. I have never heard of these things and am at a loss as to what I want to do with it.

Is this poisonous/toxic to dogs? Are the fruits edible and, if so, what do they taste like? Are they perennial? Do they grow out of control?

I saw that it is best to grow these on trellis. What kind of trellis is recommended? Will they outgrow a 6-8 FT tall trellis easily (are they fast growers)? This plant is growing wildly close to the woods. If it is recommended, I would like to move this closer to the yard. When is the best time to move them and what is the best way to do so?

Sorry for all the questions!!!! Not only am I new to this type of plant, but I am a newbie gardener.

Comments (7)

• dahlias_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another pic. Again, sorry for the shakiness.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

1. Poisonous or toxic to dogs?

There is a lot of conflicting info out there (seems that P. Caerulea and P. Edulis are VERY toxic, and you can actually smell the cyanogenic glycosides when you make cuttings...it's a very bitter smell) but to err on the side of caution, I always assume that you should treat all passiflora foliage, roots, and flowers, as toxic.

2. Are the fruits edible?

Yes, some more than others. You couldn't pay me enough money in the world to sample a P. Caerulea fruit ever again. But P. Edulis and P. Granadilla, as well as P. Incarnata, have some tasty fruits. Hawaiian Punch brand fruit drink has passion flower fruit juice in it. That is the best way I can describe the taste of a good fruit. The fruits are quite pulpy and contain lots of seeds, though. You would also need a different passion flower vine (no clones) to make fruit with some species of passion flower.

3. Are they perennial? Yes, in most cases. Some, like P. Lady Margaret, are less cold hardy and treated as annuals in some areas. You can always take a cutting of the plant, dip it in rooting hormone, and let it grow indoors over the winter, if you are trying to keep one that is not cold hardy.

4. Do they grow out of control?

To some, the need to pull up suckers (and there will be lots of suckers) would define this plant as out of control to them. Also, the vines get quite large, and the more you prune, the more side shoots are produced. I like passiflora, and don't mind pulling up suckers, so I would be more inclined to calling it a vigorous plant, rather than an out of control plant. But other gardeners have different opinions. It all depends on the amount of work YOU are willing to do.

6. What type of trellis do I use?

Um, a bigger than 8 foot. I let mine grow up and over my 8 ft fence, and my bigger ones are trained up netting to grow atop my pergola for shade.

7. Are they fast growers?

Yes, for most strains.

8. Best time/method to move?

I personally have never dug up a live passiflora plant to relocate it. I usually just take a cutting of the one I want, dip it in rooting hormone, plop it into a cup of moist vermiculite, and wait a few weeks for the cutting to take root.

Perhaps someone else can help you with the proper time and way to move it!

• four (9B near 9A)
    8 years ago

I have P. incarnata growing 20' high in trees. The broader and branchier the tree, the fuller the vine.

I have relocated shoots many, many times.

There
    always is a horizontal root that interconnects all the plants until you
    remove a plant from the chain. The farther from the plant that you
    sever the root, of course the more root the relocated plant will have
    for starting.

Time? Here, anytime.

• holzinger
    8 years ago

The vine you have is Passiflora incarnata, a passiflora native to the Southeast US. The plant is not toxic, in fact the leaves when dried are used as a sleep aid when brewed as a tea. The fruit are quite tasty, well worth growing for the fruit.

Each individual plant is not self fruitful, it takes two clones, or plants from different sources, or two seedlings, to cross pollinate and set fruit. Most likely the bees will spread the pollen to do this for you.

The plants will grow very quickly when it is warm, then slow down in the fall and either just sit over the winter, or go deciduous, or die back to the ground, depending on how cold it is there. If it dies back, then a new plant, or several plants, will sprout from the roots in the spring. This species readily spreads by root runners, which you can dig up and use to propagate this vine. You can also root cuttings to propagate more plants. An individual vine can easily outgrow an 6-8 foot trellis unless you constantly redirect the growing tips back down onto the trellis.

• tim45z10
    8 years ago

If you want to keep it, I would recommend getting it out of the ground and into a pot. Look in the neighbors yards and see if they have some growing. If so, you may have trouble keeping it out of your yard.

This vine is extremely invasive.

• four (9B near 9A)
    8 years ago

> Posted by dahlias_bloom : "What kind of trellis"

I have observed that they like natural wood, and that they do not like metals, and that they do not like plastics.

> Posted by tim45z10 : "extremely invasive"

Probably meaning that it spreads; which per se does not constitute invasivity in the botanical sense. It and other plants coexist.

• tim45z10
    8 years ago

I mean it will send up root suckers.

Sponsored