Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me

Posted by joweeks Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 21, 06 at 19:40

What a great site, first time here. Couple of questions. I have tried for 10 years to get a passion flower started here in Illinois. I had a grandmother that had one outside that made it through every winter(in Illinois). Any ideas on an extra hardy variety? Second, this year for the first time I stumbled apon a nearly full grown potted flower (so i didnt need to try seeds again) it was at Krogers grocery store of all places. I repotted them and put them outside and they are fabulous!! Fertilize as people have posted and flowering like crazy. Now What? Any suggestions for this Fall/Winter? Cut off vines and bring inside? Attempt to plant in ground and overwinter (hasnt worked before!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me

Hi - my name is Jo also! Passiflora incarnata will be hardy in your area if you mulch it really well. As for the one from Kroger, you can cut it back and bring it indoors or you can treat it as an annual and take your chances by putting it in the ground and mulching.

o
RE: help me

Do you know what species the Kroger plant is? If it didn't list it on the pot at time of purchase, you can browse online at images until you find a match. That will tell you a lot right there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here