Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady Margaret has a fruit :S

Posted by AuroraWA 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 20:03

Okay, so the only other passion flower I had blooming at the same time that is capable of pollinating Lady Margaret is my Caerulea. The fruit has been on the vine since early June, and has gotten larger. I honestly wasn't expecting this, so maybe it's a good thing? The pic I took was taken in late June. Today, the fruit is about 3.5 inches, and seems to be developing segment-type striations. I have also included photos of the Lady Margaret flower that turned into this fruit.

Do I let the fruit fall off, as I do with my others? I definitely don't think I will be eating this one, lol. May see if seeds are viable, though.

The flower:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady Margaret has a fruit :S

The fully open flower:

o

And the fruit (the fruit is just under 2 inches in this photo, taken late June):

o

Will be interesting to see if you get some viable seeds. P. caerulea seems to be a stud in the passi garden. Keep us updated!

o

• Posted by mark4321 10a CA Sunset 16/17 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 13:09

Interestingly, some messages just came across the old Passiflora-l list (which is essentially dead) about P. 'Lady Margaret' fruit. People report that the fruit is delicious, however typically is nearly empty. Tim Skimina, who made the hybrid, reports that P. edulis 'Frederick' pollen gives a full fruit. Presumably this would require hand pollination. He does remind people to not eat unripe fruit.

I found all of this very interesting. P. edulis 'Frederick' and P. 'Lady Margaret' sound like they are worth planting together, for someone willing to do a little extra work to get fruit off the latter.

Passiflora 'Lady Margaret' is P. coccinea x P. incarnata, both of which are edible, of course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here