Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I take cuttings?

Posted by moira_tx Zone 9, Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 16, 06 at 20:16

I have a very healthy 2 year old p. edulis which has borne fruit this year - abuot 16 a day for the last 2 months. How do I take cuttings to start a new plant to take to a new house? Are the runners the current vine sends up through the lawn 5 or 6 feet away able to be pulled up and re-planted? Is it better to buy a new plant?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I take cuttings?

Myles Irvine has some good information on propogation and cuttings on his website (link below). Also, the Vanderplank book, as well as the Ulmer/MacDougal books have extensive information on cuttings as well.

In my experience, I've had very poor results using powdered rooting hormones. I recently switched to liquid Dip & Grow, and while the verdict is still out, initial indications have been promising. But as always YMMV.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora cuttings

o

I might try cuting it and putting it in water with the dip and grow .I have way better luck with cut and put in a water bottle half full in shade .I forget about it then in about a month it will have roots.The good thing is u can see if its got roots so it makes its easy.I really think the moon has alot to do with some cuttings workin better than others my grandmother use to tell me do cuttings on a full moon .

o

The suckers should be an easy way to propagate these. Don't pull them up, but dig an area around the sucker and try to remove a larger piece of root with the sucker.

o

I've had better results with most varieties of cuttings using a rooting gel. I'm not sure if it's because it sticks better and seals off the cut end or what. I don't remember the brand offhand but I get it from New England Hydroponics.
Karyn

o

Here is a 'cloning box' I made long ago- It works fairly well.

o
Karyn

You wont believe this but my husbands birthday is also April 23... How funny is that...LOL

Susan

o

Susan where in Va are you? What year was your husband born? Now wouldn't that be a coincidence if it was also the same year!
Karyn

o

Karyn,
My Husband Kevin was born April 23, 1953... He is now 53..
I live in Danville, Va.. about 1 hour to Greensboro,NC. and about 1 hour to Lynchbury Va.... This is just a little town..
Susan,Va.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here