Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maypop questions

Posted by Sheri_MS z8 MS (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 05 at 20:29

I bought and planted a maypop vine in my butterfly garden. It bloomed a lot at first, but now has stopped. Is the blooming period just over? It is still growing like crazy. Can I cut it back so it doesn't take over? I don't want to upset it. I would also like to know if I can root cuttings of this somehow if I do cut it back. Thanks in advance for helping a beginner.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maypop questions

They should continue to bloom over the summer into fall/first frost. Maybe it's just taking a rest. You won't need to take cuttings - new plants will pop up all over your yard next year. Yes, you could cut it back some. Maybe just cut every other vine in case it decides to begin blooming again.

o

Mine have seemed to do a little bloom before the major growth that precedes major bloom later. Big vines make more flowers!

Enjoy those babies,
James

o

I have brought my potted maypop indoors for the winter, its growing fairly well, but my question is this: Does this plant want to grow UPWARDS? As opposed to growing and spilling downwards from the hanging pot it is in? It seems the new shoots and portions that are growing upwards are growing more vigorously than those that are hanging down...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

o

Where is the light? I would think it will try to grow toward the light.

o

I am in southeast Michigan and our friends next door and my husband and I are having the most fun with our Maypop vine.

I planted it on the fence between our lots. Well, it seemed to disappear one spring only to come up alongside their house (north side, at that). This was in an area occcupied by altheas. The next spring, we couldn't find it. Woe, woe woe. We just got in a hurry, it came up and started covering the altheas, we all got busy, found a trellis, some cord and anything else we could find for tying up plants. Forget it, let it grow--cut it back when it gets to obstreperous--and enjoy. Such beautiful flowers, it grows along our driveway and is a pleasure.

I think you can trim it with no trouble. It dies back during the winter where we are and then comes up quite late.

We are having a lot of fun with this plant. It smells good, too.

Kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here