Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Passiflora coccinea seeds (Red Granadilla)

Posted by abdielg 9b FL (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 07 at 21:17

I have fresh seeds of Passiflora coccinea available for trade. It has impresive red flowers with good tasting fruit.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Passiflora coccinea seeds (Red Granadilla)

I don't have anything to trade yet Wahhhh!! So is that how big the fruit gets. Only 1 1/2-2 inches? How did you know that was ready to open?
I have a few passis now and trying to grow more from seed

o

• Posted by chena z7 Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 12:28

What seed are you looking for????
Chena

o

chrismac flutter,

I knew the fruit was ready because it fell right off, and the color helps too. It starts to turn greenish yellowish.
That is the average size for the fruit on this vine.

o

Was this pollinated by another coccinea or something else?

o

I am pretty sure it self pollinated, since I did not have any other passion vines at the time.

o

I don't have passi seeds, but I am dividing several daylillies this week, if that would interest you. Or rose of sharon seeds in lavender?

o

abdielg,

P. coccinea is considered to be self-incompatible. It is possible it selfed, but more likely something nearby provided the pollen. Are there P. incarnata in the area? If so, then maybe these seeds will produce another Lady Margaret.

o

Abdielg, forgive me if this sounds condescending, because it's not meant to be. I know you're fairly new to passiflora and trading, so there might be some term confusion at work here.

You have multiple coccinea plants over there, correct? If so, they cross-pollinated each other. "Self-pollinated" generally means that one single plant pollinated itself, which coccinea has never been shown to do. If one of your coccineas pollinated the other, then you'll have pure-strain seeds. But that's not considered "self pollination."

o

Thank you everybody for all of your help.

Being that the case, I cannot guarantee that these seeds will produce P. coccinea, since I am not sure of the pollen donor.

However, if anybody is interested in a mystery coccinea hybrid, the seeds are available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here