Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Tacsonias

MissSherry
16 years ago

I ordered and have been reading the two passiflora books that most passionflower enthusiasts undoubtedly have - one by Ulmer and MacDougal and the other by Vanderplank. I've been really intrigued by the passionvines in the supersection tacsonia! I've never seen a passionflower with a long tube that gets visited and pollinated by hummingbirds. I've got LOTs of hummers here that could certainly pollinate them, but I noticed that all of them offered for sale on one of the mail-order websites say they can't tolerate excessive heat - it figures, since the books say they grow high in the Andes Mountains. Are there any tacsonias that CAN tolerate the heat and humidity of the southeast? If not, are there any other passionflowers with tubular flowers?

Another question, are the flowers of 'Temptation' - another p. incarnata/p. cincinnata cross - really bigger than 'Incense'? It seems impossible, considering how big 'Incense' flowers are!

Sherry

Comments (4)

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

P. 'Coral Glow' is the only Tacsonia that I know of that can tolerate heat well. Temps above 90 F may still be too much for it though, but it may be worth a try for you.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm....maybe I could plant 'Coral Glow' in a mostly shady place, where the temps aren't so bad. Actually, it doesn't get any hotter here in the summer than it does anywhere else in the southeast, but the humidity is pretty extreme. It wouldn't hurt to try 'Coral Glow'!
    Thanks!
    Sherry

• passionflow
    16 years ago

I would recommend P. tarminiana. I have grown it from seed to flowering in 6 months in 2003 when we had a very hot spell see http://www.passionflow.co.uk/hotstuff.htm and it coped very well. It is a very invasive species though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora tarminiana

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow - that's beautiful!! I'd love to have that one!
    I'll look on the internet to see if I can find it for sale anywhere.
    Thanks!
    Sherry

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County