Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singhin_gw

Blue Crown or you guys tell me

singhin
18 years ago

Little bit of history. Picked up a passion flower at the nursery-not garden center but regular nursery. This plant was stuck way in the back of the passion flower section. No name on it whatsoever. So I had to have it. Had a couple of Amethsyt type buds on it-elongated/narrow w/a tinge of sort purple on ends, 3 fruit and a caterpillar. Buds fried between nursery, my office and home.

Developed new buds-totally different, round in appearance when first starting. Came home the other night it had bloomed. It was dusk when I pulled up, it looked white at first. Up close saw the NARROW blue coronas-much narrower and lighter in color than normal Blue Crown. Outside petals have more of a greenish tinge than the others. Leaves while in shape are otherwise different.

Pics probably don't do it justice at all. Mature leaves are generally much smaller (almost miniature) than the normal blue, they have red leaf stems not green and red leaf veins on the back, not green. Also leaves are lighter in color than my "normal" ones. Fruit are same as the normal blues tho so far. It's in a 5 gal. pot.

My guess is it's still in the blue crown family. But certainly different from any others I have ever owned. Unfortunately my little camera can't get close up or it really blurs, so this my best. Any help in "name that Caerulea" would be appreciated. Thanks.

1st pic is a "normal" one

rest of the mystery flowers and leaves

Comments (3)