Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

Sanguinolenta

jblaschke
16 years ago

My p. sanguinolenta bloomed for the first time today. As you can see in the pic, it's set additional buds as well.

I'm quite happy about this, because I nearly killed this poor plant several times--and *did* manage to do in it's clone. The first time, I over-watered and it shrivelled and died, only to send up some new sprouts a few days later. The next time, I left of a long weekend and when I came back, it, along with several other plants in my window, had dried out and crisped. The others recovered, but the p. sanguinolenta didn't. Undeterred, I watered twice weekly and waited. After a month, a tiny, feeble little leaf popped up, almost as if it was afraid to draw much attention to itself, lest I try to kill it again. But I refrained. It too months of patience, but it appears this little plant has gotten over its trauma and is confident enough to bloom. Yay!

Comments (12)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

It's so pretty. Mine hasn't bloomed yet but has gotten quite large, at least 10x the size it was when I got it in the spring. This was the one that was infested with scale upon delivery and had to be replaced. I have mine in the shade. Does yours get sun? I was wondering if I wasn't getting flowers because it's in such a shady area.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

That pretty has made quite a recovery...LOL I have one that was taking a turn for the worst right after I recieved it,, I went ahead and took cuttings.. The cuttings rooted very quickly..It will be awhile before mine will bloom...
    Chena

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

It sure is pretty! The leaves look very different from any I've seen, and pink is an unusual color for passion flowers isn't it?
    MissSherry

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I understand that most sanguinolentas in the wild are a darker, blood-red color. It's just that one of the cultivated clones happens to be much lighter than normal. It's still pretty cool.

Karyn, mine is in a 6" pot and gets morning sun until about noon. It's right next to my fledermouse, which has *really* started growing like crazy with the morning sun routine as well. Now flower buds on that one, though. I'm hoping I might be able to cross them.

• hummingbird3172
    16 years ago

That really is such a pretty color...I was thinking of getting one of that type, and now I am sure I want to!

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I'll try some morning sun and see if I get any blooms (I hope I remember to move it back in the afternoon! lol). Mine is in a 10" pot and really needs to be repotted already as I noticed a bunch of roots growing out the drainage holes. That might also be a reason that I'm not getting flowers.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karyn, my sanguinolenta is in a 6" pot, and has some roots starting to grow out through the bottom. I don't know if moving to a larger pot is the answer--many passiflora experts (of which I don't claim to be) recommend keeping the plants in a slightly undersized pot. Once the roots fill the available space, the plant feels a particular stress which encourages flowering. The thinking goes that moving to a larger pot will only encourage the plant to put more energy into root growth.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I had to repot it. The roots were growing out and into the deck! I didn't realize how rootbound it was. When I unpotted it all the roots were circling the interior of the pot.
    Karyn

• odyssey3
    16 years ago

I just posted on the exchange forum today looking for this plant. I have lots of nice things to trade if either of you could spare a cutting. Please check my trade list and thanks.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Odyssey3 I sent you an email through GW. Let me know if you received it. I have problems sending mail through GW.
    Karyn

• odyssey3
    16 years ago

Hi Karyn,

I just checked and didn't see it. I'm going to try to e-mail you. Hopefuly we will connect!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

jblaschke, how exciting for you. I am glad that you saved him. He is happy now and rewarding you with blooms :P
    I do try to keep mine a little potbound. It does seem that once I repot my larger passie vines to a larger pot, they do not bloom as well for awhile. They seem to concentrate on growing new roots instead, I guess. Once the roots fill out the pot a little then, here comes the flowers.
    I usually go ahead and pot up the little ones though.

I just potted up my little cuttings from the oasis foam experiment and put them into little 3 oz dixie cups until they get established then they will go up to 'real' pots.
    They are so cute. I gave them spray n grow a few days ago and they really seemed to love that.

~SJN

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia