Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxxanne_gw

Incense or Incarnata?

roxxanne
16 years ago

Please help me ID this plant. The fruits are now the size of jumbo eggs but aren't ripe yet. I think the flowers are too dark for incarnata. What do you think?

Roxanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots Album

Comments (8)

• chills71
    16 years ago

I would guess Incarnata. Doesn't look dark enough for Incense, also Incense just seems fuller to me.

Leaves would be helpful, Incarnata generally has three lobed leaves (although this can be variable). Incense (in my experience) only has five lobed leaves (if the leaves are mature).

~Chills

• karyn1
    16 years ago

That doesn't look like my incense which is much darker and does have 5 lobed leaves.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Incarnata, definitely. If the flowers aren't definitive, then the fruit are--Incense rarely fruits, and when it does, they're generally much smaller than described here.

• passionflow
    16 years ago

I agree with jblaschke
    To be certain check out the petiole glands and see text in para 3 at link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora incarnata

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Positively p. incarnata - my 'Incense' flowers have a real dark area around the center - yours doesn't, but it has the coloration of p. incarnata.
    Sherry

• roxxanne
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replys. I have never tasted a passionfruit so now I can't wait for the fruits to ripen! I also have granadilla, several mollissima seedlings and another one that the name tag faded, when it blooms I'll need help with the ID on it. I can't wiat for it to flower, the folige is really different than the others and it is growing like crazy! Has anyone seen this one on ebay, is it really as rare as they say?
    Thanks again! You guys are always very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora parritae on ebay

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Yes, p. parritae is VERY rare, but I didn't know it had become extinct in the wild. Isn't it gorgeous?
    I wouldn't offer a bid on it, because it would be silly for me to kill it - it needs to be grown in the coastal PNW. This is one plant I might move for! :)
    Sherry

• karyn1
    16 years ago

That's one of my favorite varieties, too bad I can't grow it here. Our summers are just too hot. I didn't realize that it was extinct in the wild either though I'm not surprised. Plant and animal species are becoming extinct in the wild at an alarming rate. I've seen it for sale a few times. That particular Ebay seller offers some great plants but his bids go way out of line. I've bought several of the plants he's offered from other vendors for much less.
    Karyn

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County