Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Caterpillar and Butterfly Stories?

mark4321_gw
14 years ago

Perhaps it's my imagination, but it seems like lately I've read an unusually large number of posts involving caterpillars and butterflies.

I do like butterflies, but I'm not so fond of caterpillars eating my plants. I also think sphinx moths (hawkmoths) are incredibly cool, but I'd prefer that hornworms steer clear of my tomatoes and Brugmansias.

I'm guessing someone out there must have some interesting stories--care to share?

I do have one of my own. I sent this in an email to another member of the forum at the end of last year. Instead of rewriting it, here it is verbatim from the email:

"I had the strangest thing happen yesterday. In my bedroom window between the screen and the window, beating its wings furiously, was a Gulf Fritillary. Now I think I've seen only one around here before and I couldn't imagine how this one got in the screen. I did remember seeing just a couple leaves chewed on on a P. edulis maybe 12 feet from the window, and I figured this was probably just one caterpillar (or more likely a snail). Thinking back, I do remember seeng a caterpillar on the wall near the window a few weeks before, but I didn't know what kind. I look it up--sure enough. I guess it must have squeezed through a hole just big enough before emerging just recently. He/she has been freed, of course."

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Garage Door Repair in Loudoun County, VA