Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Seeds from a dead plant? Passiflora herbertiana

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

I had a plant die recently, from causes that are not clear to me (although it did have spider mites). I noticed today that the plant has some fruits on it. I don't know yet if the seeds are viable. If they are I will make them available for postage. The plant is Passiflora herbertiana.

I bought the plant in May, at a local nursery, I think for $14, in bloom and in bud. I didn't notice the spider mites until I got it home. The wholesaler was Suncrest.

Passiflora herbertiana is of interest because the flowers, fairly large for a Decaloba, open yellow then change to orange, colors that are not common among Passifloras. They also last for several days.

They actually get more orange than this photo:

The plant is also self-fertile and readily produces viable seed. Viable that is, if the fruit has matured sufficiently. Reports that I have read suggest that fruit takes 3-4 months to ripen (although it's possible seeds could mature more quickly).

Of the 4 fruits on my dead vine, two fell off upon touching them:

I removed the seeds of the larger one and spread them out to dry. There appears to be on the order of 500, maybe. I'm going to test some for germination. Passiflora herbertiana has a reputation for being fairly easy to germinate and quick to bloom (see for example the link to Myles Irvine's site at the bottom).

If the seeds are viable I will offer them for postage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Myles Irvine's page on Passiflora herbertiana

Comments (5)

Sponsored