Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

When does P. edulis flower and fruit?

mark4321_gw
15 years ago

I'm curious in general for P. edulis, but in particular for the 'Nancy Garrison' clone. I was rather surprised when I read the blurb for 'Nancy Garrison' on the Monterey Bay Nursery webpage (they're the nursery that introduced this variety):

"This variety has proven to be daylength neutral, as far as I can tell, and is a consistent producer. It provides us with fruit all year here in our production blocks."

Has anyone ever grown 'Nancy Garrison' who can confirm this? The nursery is in Watsonville, fairly close to the coast and right about in the middle of the state. How about the S.F. Bay area?--it's close to Watsonville, and the milder areas have a similar climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monterey Bay Nursery: Passiflora

Comments (11)

• boson
    15 years ago

Hello,

I don't know about Nancy Garrison clone. But I grow P. edulis and a few weeks ago mine flowered - about 50 flowers. Just the other day I discovered the first fruit.

Tomas

PS. Yesterday I posted pictures with my P. edulis in the Tropical Fruits forum.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Boson,

I checked out your pictures on the other site--very nice--especially the big vine. I take it the two to three years were outside in Florida zone 10? It's bound to take even longer in Northern California then.
    I did buy some rooted cuttings earlier in the summeer: 'Frederic' and 'Nancy Garrison'. Both have very different qualities. Right now, the 'Nancy Garrison' is starting to take off; the Frederick is a bit slower. However, this plant was sent to me in bud and immediately grew a fruit. The fruit is much smaller than a normal Frederick--I did nothing to prevent pollination, but I also tried adding pollen from a different species. This could explain the smaller fruit--we'll have to see. Hopefully I'll have plenty of fruit next year.

In spite of the fact that I have these plants already, I sprouted some purple supermarket seeds just recently. So I have a ton of small seedlings (> 50) that will eventually have to find new homes--assuming I can keep them alive. So at some point soon I will have a bunch of small seedlings to give away (probably still really small). I'll have to decide what to do about shipping, but the seedlings themselves will be free. So please keep this in mind if you are interested. Again, I have no guarantees they will survive the next few weeks, but if they do I should have enough to give away 1-3 each to a fair number of people.

My email is (I use this only for plants, so I don't always check it often):

looking4plants@yahoo.com

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Boson,

Just noticed in the above that the offer of seedlings could appear to be directed towards you. Instead, it was for anyone interested. It sounds like you might already have your share of unnamed P.edulis. However, if my vines grow anywhere near as fast as yours did, I should be able to spare some cuttings of 'Nancy Garrison' and/or 'Frederick' in a year or so.

• boson
    15 years ago

Hi again,

My P.edulis that you saw in the picture was from a seed. About 3 years ago I planted about 50 seeds and this is the seedling that grow about 2 times faster than all the rest, so I simply kept this one. It been growing here in Florida all this time. I had it in a big pot and just 6 months ago I put it in the ground and that's when the vine started to grow enormously fast.

Tomas
    Delray Beach, Florida

PS. It's very nice of you to offer free seedlings to anyone. Yeah, I don't have much more space left to grow more with all my other fruit and nut plants.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

6 months? Wow! Do you have the sense that it would have bloomed earlier had you put it in the ground sooner?

• boson
    15 years ago

Hi,

I don't really know that. My wild guess is that my vine would probably had bloomed 1 year earlier if I had planted the vine 1 year earlier.

Tomas

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

I planted a five gallon vine in May, then it flowered in July, but none of the flowers stayed. It is flowering again right now (October) and it has between 10 and 20 new flowers every day, with about 80% of the flowers setting fruit.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

My edulis from seed took a full year, some longer, to produce fruit. The only passie that I've started from seed that took less then a year was foetida which took about 5 months to reach blooming/fruit stage. I'm in zone 7a so most of my passies are container grown and have to go in the greenhouse over the winter. They would probably mature faster if I was in a frost free zone.
    Karyn

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karyn,

A year seems remarkably quick to me. I want to ask you a whole slew of questions--here's a few: how much do you fertilize? how much sun/shade? what size pots? how big is the plant upon fruiting...?

And out of curiousity, from anyone--do people fruit P. edulis indoors?

Oh, and my P. edulis 'Frederick', transplanted from a 4 inch pot 2-3 months ago into 5 gallons before going into the ground next spring (long story) got its second flower yesterday. So I'll know in a day or two whether it will set fruit.

• soultan
    15 years ago

Does it self pollinate?

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Soultan,

P. edulis f. edulis (purple passionfruit): yes
    P. edulis flavicarpa (yellow passionfruit): no

Crosses with both purple and yellow parentage vary.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH