Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
P. cincinnata

Posted by mjoh (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 29, 06 at 8:42

Hi
I just wonder if anybody knows if P. cinccinata is selfcompatible or do I need flowers from another clone to pollinate it?
I also wonder if the resulting fruit is edible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: P. cincinnata

I don't think it is self-compatible. The fruit is edible.

You will need another clone or pollen from a compatible species to get fruit, although there is a trick that may work if you don't have anything else available. The incompatibility factors do not appear in the styles until just before the flower blooms. Take some ripe pollen from one flower, then pry open another bud that has not bloomed yet, but should bloom the next day. Apply the pollen. This is called bud pollination. It may not work every time, but you should be able to get a few fruit.

o

Thanks!
I only have one plant so I guess I have do budpollination.
I have tried it on a P.citrina and it worked after several attemps.

o

kiwinut do you have any pix to show how to do it Also do you think it'll work on my Edulis Flav? As this one is not self-compatible?
Thank you

o

I don't have pics, but it is easy to do. When you gently pry open the end of the bud, the stigmas will be right there at the end. Just apply the pollen to the stigmas and close the bud back as much as possible, then wait and see what happens. The only way to know if it will work with your flavicarpa is to give it a try.

~kiwinut

o

Thank you
I'll give it a try and let you know what happens *Grin*

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here